Digital picture size

Old 12-23-15, 08:21 AM
Digital picture size

Hello
I am using a Canon Powershot A4000 IS
I took photos and uploaded them.
I am using Win 10 and their photo program. I went to share a photo but it was about 250 MB. I have to take each photo and resize it twice by 50% to make it like 500 KB so I can share it.
How can I do this an easier way with my existing software. Do I need to change a setting in the camera. i hope not because it all looks like it is hard to do.?
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-15, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
You can change picture size with your camera.

Changing Image Resolution (Size)
Choose from 5 levels of image resolution, as follows. For guidelines on how many shots at each resolution setting can fit on a memory card, see “Specifications” in the Getting Started guide.

Name:  canon ps 4000.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  48.6 KB

The downfall to reducing the resolution/size of your pictures as they're taken is that the resolution can never be increased. You can enlarge the picture but it becomes grainy.

I use the Microsoft picture program every day. I resize many of the pictures that are seen here. I find it's a pretty easy program to use compared to other picture programs I have.

One plus to shooting smaller pictures is you can get more on a memory card.

Old 12-23-15, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Pete's right about the downfall to reducing pics on your camera. Better idea to reduce them afterwards, with a program.
I use Irfanview. Very easy and you'll only need to do it once, not twice.

Old 12-23-15, 10:34 AM
size

So what I hear is keep it at default(L) in the camera(or make it M) and resize each photo. I just did 74 with Windows photo - lots of work.
I saw large as an attachment which was much too big.
Could you please tell me if Irfanview would resize all photos in a folder at once instead of one at a time?
Is it fee?
TQ
Peter

Old 12-23-15, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
I also use Irfanview. I have used it for many years and find it one of the easiest to use. If you need help using it just post back.

There are really two ways to reduce picture size. Easiest perhaps is just reducing the actual height and width. This always works for posting pictures here for me.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  47.8 KB

As you see can type in the new size or choose a preset size from a list or even choose to use a percentage of the size.

Irfanview is also very easy to use as a cropping tool to reduce image size. Just draw a box with the mouse around the area you want to save and press Ctrl+Y.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  50.0 KB

And finally if all else fails you can reduce file size: Bleeping Computer - Technical Support and Computer Help
resize all photos in a folder at once
One of several tutorials on line. http://mecrunchy.blogspot.com/2008/0...ages-with.html

Of course there are many other things Irfanview can do. It's free so try it I think you will like it.

Old 12-23-15, 11:01 AM
So even with Irfanview you still reduce one at a time, correct?
Even so I think I will look into it. Please let me know about how many are reduced at one time - one or all?
TQ
Peter

Old 12-23-15, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can batch reduce. See my edited post above for a link to one of several tutorials. (I was adding to my post as you were posting.)

Old 12-23-15, 11:14 AM
That is great
Thank you very much.

Old 12-23-15, 03:07 PM
Ray
I have a question. i think i should not have changed all the photos and only a couple my wife wanted me to send as attachments, but I did.
Now when i send to out to be developed as 4x6, are they going to be able to do it with KB's instead of MB's, or should i change them all back to MB's?
Thanx,
Peter

Old 12-23-15, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
When you have pictures on your computer and they are in a large format and you want to reduce them to a smaller size to send online..... copy the pictures first. They can be copied to a new folder called "resized pics". This way the originals are untouched. When the smaller ones are sent you can delete that folder if no longer needed.

Old 12-23-15, 07:43 PM
I agree with everyone here especially about making your picture quality less in your camera as doing so will make them easier to send but when you make a copy of that picture it will be very fuzzy. Instead as was said you can use Irfanview it is a great program but it also does more than just resize a photo. I also agree with PJmax when he says it is best to make two copies of your photos one resized and one as it is loaded onto the computer.

If you want a program though that is dedicated to just re-sizing pictures and is free I would use Pixresizer available free here Image resizing, do it with PIXresizer . You can individually resize photos or do them in bulk and the program automatically renames the copy while keeping the original version untouched. I use Pixresizer every time I post a picture here or I send a picture through e-mail. Usually I use custom sizes but sometimes I use the automatic preset size too. It is the easiest program for re-sizing pictures I have ever found.

Old 12-23-15, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the program/link Hedgeclipper. I just loaded it to try out. The hardest part was using the application to locate my pictures. Fairly easy to use.

Old 12-24-15, 05:38 AM
I finally fixed the sizes and after emailing have a nice folder to send to develop. I have to decide about a program now.
Thank you all.
Peter

Old 12-24-15, 01:40 PM
I agree Pete it can be a bit hard at first to find the exact photo. To make it easier when I load my pictures onto my computer I try to keep track of the date the picture was taken and the picture number. Once you do that it is real easy to use and best for pictures on the forum or e-mail while still keeping most of the aspect ratio of the picture. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-15, 06:26 AM
That is good advice which I will heed.
It is very nice of you to wish a Merry Christmas and I wish you the same.
Peter

Old 02-15-16, 05:36 AM
If you adjust the camera to make smaller pictures that are more easily emailed then it is possible that even 4x6 prints will be of poorer quality. So it is best to keep the camera set for the "largest" possible picture size and "finest" picture detail.

When resizing pictures using your computer, be sure to keep the original picture saved separately and unchanged. It may help if you put the same picture number in the name of each resized or edited picture derived from a particular original picture.

If you need to make two different resizings (for different purposes) it is better to start the second resizing using the original as opposed to using the first resized pieture as the starting point for the second. Each time the picture is reprocessed, some quality loss (generation loss) occurs. For advanced uses, generation loss can be minimized by knowing about the differences between BMP files and JPG files and making judicious (and minimal) use of converting back and forth from one of those formats to the other.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-15-16 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 07:55 AM
Resize photos

How about using the program paint and just say, "save as"?

Old 02-15-16, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Sure you can use Paint but that means you can only work with one picture at a time.

Old 02-15-16, 08:45 AM
size

Hi
I understand that.
I don't do enough to make it worthwhile to invest in a program.
I looked at Irvanview once and you really have to be into photography as it is not easy.
Peter

Old 02-15-16, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
My favorite "go to" picture program that I've been using everyday for years is Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It came originally with the office suite. I don't know what OS you are running but you probably don't have it if you have a newer version of Office.

You can get it for free... a little more is discussed here....
How to install and get “Microsoft Office Picture Manager” back in office 2013 and 2016

Back in post 11 ..... pix resizer was discussed. I have put that on my computer. It's free and works well. Not quite as basic as the MS picture manager but ok.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-15-16 at 06:15 PM. Reason: old age moment
Old 02-15-16, 09:14 AM
250MB per picture? Is your camera saving pictures in jpg format, or possibly an uncompressed format like RAW?

Old 02-15-16, 09:22 AM
My phone has 16 M down to 6 M and its default is 16. I have to check out my Canon power shot.

Old 02-15-16, 05:40 PM
I still stand by my advice in post #11 using Pixresizer and PJmax is right it does take some getting used to but it does help to keep the aspect ratio of the original picture as it is shrunk in size. Allanj is also correct when he says that there can be some generation loss so as he says always use the original when making your pictures smaller. Pjmax has good advice when he says to use Microsoft Picture manager however that is best used when loading pictures onto the computer as it is a bit too basic otherwise.

To change the contrast of a picture or change color properties I would use Irfanview as was stated before or Gimp. Both programs are free to download and when you get used to them are much better to use than Microsoft Paint. Microsoft Paint is just way too basic for photographs and gives poor results. Also you can use it only for Bit Map files otherwise known as BMP files and you want something that can handle many different picture files such as Jpeg and Raw files.

Old 02-16-16, 05:27 AM
I do have the office manager 2010 and it is a great program