Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

SD card problems

MD

11-24-17, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)  
SD card problems

When I first put the SD card in my computer which has Windows 10 the card wasn't recognized. it also took several attempts to even get to the file import screen. Windows gave me several options besides import which was using file manager. Could it be a defective card? I see images on the card as thumb nails but just can't import them.
This was a card obtained from an online auction site where I bought some cameras in bulk. I would like to get these pictures back to this family if possible. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

11-24-17, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I don't think that the card is defective. Instead of removing the SD card from the camera, connect the camera directly to the PC. I think that I used a mini USB to USB cable. Cell phone charges use the same cable. If that doesn't work, try a different PC.

Group Moderator

NC

11-24-17, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)  
If moving files directly from an SD card to a file on my computer I normally use copy or cut and paste. I don't use the import command within Windows. I will use the import command when inside a program like Adobe Lightroom which is also reading the file into it's structure in addition to putting them onto the computer's hard drive.

If the card is proving odd or difficult to read then I'll put the card back in it's camera and like Donato mentioned use a USB cord between the camera and my computer. Also, make sure the lock slider on the SD card is in the unlocked position.

Super Moderator

NJ

11-24-17, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Once you get what you need off the card just reformat it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aXwc8zcz-E

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

11-24-17, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)  
That's right. I always delete what's on the SD card after I transfer the files.

PA

11-24-17, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)  
It's not unusual for a SD card to get dirty or build up a thin layer of oxidation on the metal contacts. .
Try rubing the contacts with a dry q-tip, then re-insert.

Also try different devices. Some SD cards read better on one device than another, don't bother trying to figure out why.
I've got a built in card-reader in a desktop, which is getting finicky, other options are the card reader in a printer-fax scanner, the card reader in the camera, and I still use the card reader function in an old Palm phone.

MD

12-10-17, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Thanks for the replies sorry I have been late in getting back to you. I have had a few down days and been busy after Thanksgiving. I solved my problem by just going to the drive letter assigned and just clicking on that and then selecting all of the files. Not sure why it didn't work the other way as it usually does but this time it was being stubborn. Have a great weekend.

Search this Thread