Oil in Bellhousing 91 GMC Sierra

Old 05-20-19, 01:56 PM
W
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Oil in Bellhousing 91 GMC Sierra

I'm currently replacing the clutch (clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, etc.) in my 91 GMC Sierra 4.3 liter 5 speed manual. When I dropped the transmission, there was oil inside the bellhousing. I'm not sure if it's engine oil, gear oil or both. I decided I should replace the rear main seal (seal at the engine block and input shaft), the seal retainer gasket and oil pan gasket. What seal, if any, would I replace that might have allowed gear oil to leak into the bellhousing? I think I have everything covered that might come from the engine to the bellhousing, but I'm not sure what to replace from the gear box to the bellhousing.

Old 05-20-19, 03:11 PM
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
There is a seal inside the transmission 'snout' that the input shaft goes through. Remove bolt ring from snout, remove it and examine inside the tube portion. You will find a seal inside there on side that goes next to transmission.

RR

Old 05-21-19, 06:24 AM
W
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thank you, RR. After cleaning the bellhousing out a little yesterday, I noticed the bolt ring. Looks easy enough to access.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: