trouble coedes

Old 09-02-02, 10:53 PM
ralrum
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up trouble coedes

thanks again bejay i don't have any more shorts shorts i thing cause it starts good in the mouning.i did one of those self test for the eef-iv with engine off and got the code 31and gives me three thing
first it sayes evp-evp signal is/was out of range-evp
second one they gave mewas evp-evp signal is/was low-evp
therd they say pfe-pfe signalis /was low -pfe
i don't know where the these parts are .i have one of those haynes book on my truck but doesn't show you were it is in the engin compartment i wish they would make it so they show so the show the hole engin and show where everything in it by part.edo you think i should just buy a new evp and egr
second i did the self test while it was running and got the code 41 and the system sayes system lean- fuel control.it has fuel injection with a throttle body and was wondering if you can ajust the fuel mix with a couple of screws or does it have to be done through the computer. thank you so much everyone fir your help and i hope you can help me again .i would love a page with a blow up of my 4.9 l eng.showing where every thing is (1988 ford f150 with a inline 6.thanhs a million agan for you time and help thanks larry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 10:16 AM
when running a engine running self test make sure the engine is fully warmed up, after disconnecting the battery rerun the test and if code 41 returns it is likely you need a new oxygen sensor.
i would just start with an evp sensor it is located on top of the egr valve, the egr is bolted to the intake manifold at the very back near the fire wall it also has about a 1 inch exhaust tube which threads onto the egr valve, it has one vacum line usually green in color going to the egr, the evp is bolted to the egr with 3 small nuts or bolts and has a 3 wire connector going to it. the sensor is usually white in color.
that should give you an idea of where it is located i do not have any way to show you a diagram, there is no fuel mixture adjustments on a fuel injected vehicle the computer takes the readings off of several sensors and determines how much fuel to give the engine.
are you having any specific problems with this vehicle does it run ok? check engine light come on ?

Old 09-03-02, 07:41 PM
ralrum
Visiting Guest
evp

thanks so much bejay you are such a big help how you desgribed it now i know right where it is it does have a green vacume line but when i went to take the three nuts off two of the stud broke (problem with these old truck every thing is so rusty but i love the truck)the check engine light stays on all the time.do you think the white evp is the problem and do you think i should just put a new one on.now when you say deconect the battery do you mean while it is runing or when i do a self test deconect the batery.i wish you had a garage in my area because i would take it to you becauuse iit seems i can trust you cause alot of mechanics i don't trust thinking the are just trying to make large money off you for small jobs.thanks again bejay and if yu ever need advice in carpentry (framing)as in new home just ask i've been one for 15 yearsd now

Old 09-04-02, 02:36 AM
disconnect the battery with the engine off to clear the codes after replacing the evp sensor to determine if code 41 will return.

Old 09-04-02, 11:11 AM
ralrum
Visiting Guest
evp

just before i put on my evp sensor you disconnect the battery with the engine off to clear the codes after replacing the evp sensor to determine if code 41 will return.but the code 41 is system lean-fuel control.and the code i get for the evp is 31 i was just wondering if these two codes work together as in the evp problem will give you the code 41 system lean.i hope it doesn't bother you with probable stupid questions cauuse i do enjoy working on my truck speacealy with the help from you.so now i'm going to try and atach the evp some how withe broking studs hopfully it can be done because i tried to take the egr off but that big exhaust tube scares me cuase if i try to loosenit it will probable brake or crackso i'm going to go put my evp bak on hopfull but any other help you can give mme would be great and again i thank you so much

Old 09-04-02, 05:09 PM
those two codes are not associated with each other, but as i said in another post if the engine is not fully warm when you run the engine running test you may get a code 41.
spray that tube with some wd 40 and let it soak in overnight and it will likely come loose.
most replacement egrs use bolts and not studs so you could probably drill out the studs if you wanted or just replace the egr valve.