Sell 90 Suburban for 95 van/truck?

Old 11-18-02, 07:15 PM
Sell 90 Suburban for 95 van/truck?

I came here for help with an immediate problem. I have had a 1990 GMC Suburban Starcraft Conversion 'van' for 6 yrs. It had 57k when I got it, now is at 188k. I LOVE IT! Captains chairs, TV, VCR, TEAKWOOD! 4WD! rear fold down bed, big enough engine to pull anything, etc.
The kicker: My husband has been saying for awhile that he thinks we need to sell it while it is still worth something. He thinks if we continue to hold on to it, later, there will be no value to use to get another car. (Did I say I Love this Car?) I feel we should keep it, replace what needs replacing when it needs it and keep it until at least the kids leave home (both now in high school). My brother does mechanic work for his livelihood, and can do almost anything. (I do get some things done locally, so as to not impose too bad on my brother, plus he lives an hour away).

My immediate situation: the transmission is starting to mess up. The lower planetary unit- I was told this - in a nutshell- is low gear of the transmission - a 400? is starting to sound like something flopping around when I am coasting real slow. My brother says he can rebuild it for less than $400, including his labor- vs $1700 in a shop.

This vehicle has a 5.7L 1500 and runs SO good. Yes, it's a gas hog - but I have a 1979 Corolla to compensate (Let's don't start here; hubby wants me to sell this too!!! ughhh!!!!!)

What do y'all think? He think we can sell it for $5000, as is, (it's got a new paint job). And then get a full size van for our son's R&R band touring needs - and motocross racing with son #2. Or a truck with an extended cab and a top for the bed. He thinks we can get a '95 for the same price.

WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET A $5000 VAN OR KING CAB WHEN I HAVE A $5000 SUPERIOR SUBURBAN I KNOW THE HISTORY TO?

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-02, 04:43 AM
Another thing I thought I should add: Hubby says the MAIN reason we should sell the suburban now is we don't need a vehicle this big anymore.

Old 11-19-02, 01:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Answered in my automotive forum by myself and other posters....

Search this Thread