90 Ford F-250 diesel

Old 12-04-02, 08:33 PM
deanprowler
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 90 Ford F-250 diesel

can not find a manual that shows the E4OD transmission cant get the tranny to go into any forward gears only have reverse.
any one have any Idea,s

Old 12-12-02, 03:09 PM
biere
Visiting Guest
Is this something you have been working on? Like removing the tranny?

Or is it one of those things where it worked last time you drove it and now it does not? If this one, I would call a rebuild person unless you want to pull it apart and check for grit in the valve body.

If it is something you have been working on, have you checked the chilton or hayne's manuals available at parts stores like napa? I know these are not great, but for 12-15 bucks I like them. And if I talk to the manager and tell him this book must have this exact thing in it for me to buy it he is willing to open it and let me find what I want. If it does not have it, it goes on the shelf and he agreed it could be opened. If it has it, I need to buy it anyway.

Basically as long as the gear selector in the truck is working and the lever is moving on the side of the tranny, I think it died. I have killed a ford tranny before, in a u-haul. I lost reverse first, sucks to push one of these backwards by hand. Then while driving it back to the u-haul place I lost 3rd gear. As I got into town and came to a stop light, I lost 2nd. I rolled that thing in with 1st barely working. Tranny smelled burned, tranny was seriously hot as was the fluid. This was a c6, but the e40d is an overdrive c6 I think.

Now some of the e40d might possably maybe get into having computers. Some of general motors new stuff needs a computer of its own to work. So I would run a search for ford boards with the big trucks and vans to go see about that.

ford-diesel.com used to be one but ford wanted their name back and he had to change his name. A search might turn it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: