clutch care

Old 02-02-03, 01:42 AM
clutch care

I have a buddy that had to have a new clutch put in recently and it was not cheap,over 1500$ ouch!!! I have a 2000 Rangerxl 5-speed manuel.How do you make sure these clutches last a long time, is there certain driving habits or maintenance you need to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-03, 07:25 AM
the only thing you can really do is change your driving habits if needed to lengthen the life of a clutch there isnt any maintence to be done on the clutch of this model, so if you find yourself riding the clutch alot at stoplights or on an incline you may want to change these habits to get longer life out of your clutch.

Old 02-02-03, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
I hope your buddy's vehicle was something large or exotic; otherwise $1500 should be enough to replace the clutch about three times!

Really no preventive maintenance on a clutch.

Don't "ride" it when you drive and don't draw out the release too much when you shift or go from a standstill. Also, of course, the more shifting you do up and down through the gears, the quicker it will wear out. Depending on the vehicle and how you drive, 100,000 miles on a clutch is not unusual.

Old 02-02-03, 11:02 AM
Yeah i think he got ripped off! I'd like to be able to do it myself to avoid that.Is it hard on a model like i got? Thanks for the replys!

Old 02-03-03, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Rear wheel drive like your Ranger is easier than front drive. Easiest done on a lift with the proper tranny jack/support, but it is d-i-y-able if you're brave and adventurous. Check the autolibrary link of Joe Cool's to read up on the procedure. Frankly, for as little as it can be done for (at a reputable garage that won't rip you off) I wouldn't mess with it. I haven't had to price a clutch job lately, but $300-400 would likely cover it.