79 F250 4WD shocks (w/lift)

Old 03-02-03, 12:36 PM
Question 79 F250 4WD shocks (w/lift)

I recently purchased a 79 F250 4WD, stock drivetrain, wheels and tires. Two owners previous to me installed a lift kit (suspension). The previous owner to me sold it to me cause' it rode like hell and kept breaking shock mounts. Upon closer examination, he used OEM shocks. Well needless to say, with the truck parked the shocks are about completely extended and just a little droop would snap the mounts. I have no idea how much lift is in the truck. I would say it looks like a highboy. Is there a formula in which I can determine the appropriate shock length?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-03, 03:48 PM
i would just unbolt the shocks and measure the distance between the mounts while the vehicle is setting normaly on the ground and try to make that distance about the midway point in the shocks travel, but you also need to jack the vehicle up on the frame and make sure that your brake hoses are not going to be stretched tight with a longer shock installed.
this may not keep the mounts from breaking they should be strong enough to fully stop the travel of the rearend when fully extended and it doesnt sound as if they are now.