Diesel catalytic converter??

Old 03-24-03, 12:38 PM
Thirdeep
Visiting Guest
Diesel catalytic converter??

Hello i am having troubles with a 1996 dodge 12 valve cummins diesel with 105,000 miles I am suspecting a bad catalytic converter. what i need to know is what are some synptoms caused by a bad catalytic converter in dodge diesels. i do have black smoke and engine runs toward overheat mark on temp guage and i have no power, it does run ,but only idling as soon as i step on the accelerator it dies. i have a new fuel and air filter k&n type. will a plugged catalytic converter cause the engine to run hot? thanks for all advice

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-03, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a cat problem to me. Here in Texas you are not required to have both a Cat and a muffler on a diesel. Just something to think about when it is time to replace your system.

Old 03-24-03, 05:01 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
And if you want that nice Cummins to last, put the K&N filter into the circular file (wastebasket). The K&N filter does not filter as well as a premium paper or foam element and even K&N admits this. They tell you right out that it filters better as it gets dirtier.

I have not had a chance to check this out yet as it was just in our meeting last Thursaday, but a mention was made as to K&N filters installed on the Ford Power-Strokes. They said Ford will void your warranty if a K&N is found in the air box.

Now this goes against "The Magnuson-Moss Act" UNLESS Ford can prove it to not filter as well as required.

As I said, hear say at this point but one of my customers is a Ford Truck Center and I will try to ask the sevice dept about this and get a service bulletin if one exhists.

Old 04-01-03, 08:27 PM
We use K&N at work; we have never had a motor failure due to them. There is more of an initial cost with them, but over the long run they are cheaper if you buy them in bulk. And we have some very high mileage rigs running on them. When you tear the motor down you can not tell a bit of difference in a K&N and a regular filter. I enjoy the extra air flow in a Diesel.