oil leak

Old 03-25-03, 10:31 PM
sk8ref1
Visiting Guest
oil leak

I am 16 and i have an oil leak under my 90 chevrolet 350 half ton truck and i think it has something to do with my oil pan gasket. Does anyone have any suggestions? thank you!:

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-03, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Depends on how bad the leak is. A 13 year old vehicle is bound to have some seepage. If you suspect the pan gasket, I would try snugging up on all the bolts. Caution: Do NOT overtighten. Most pan bolts are fairly small and can be broken with too much torque. Other possible source of leakage would be front or rear (especially rear) main bearing seals. No need to mess with these unless the leak is REALLY bad. Oil leaks can be hard to track down because of the way oil gets around on the outside of the engine and is blow by the airstream as you drive.

Old 03-26-03, 04:20 PM
The oil pan gasket should not be hard to change, but it is messy. The rear main seal is a little more involved to change, and takes up a good chunk of time. Unless itís a huge leak, not just a few drips I would not worry about it until another repair forced me to pull the motor.