hitch for a pop-up camper

Old 04-05-03, 06:40 PM
hitch for a pop-up camper

hi

i have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan EX and I recently acquired a Jayco pop-up trailer from 1986. I would like to tow this with the van. What is the word on hitches? Do I need class II? I installed a Class I for my yard trailer for hauling trash. Installing them is easy. Should I do it myself? Any suggestions of brands? What is the advantage to having them professionally installed?

Anything you think I should know, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-03, 07:38 PM
they are fairly easy to install and really no benefit to having it installed professionly, whether you need a class2 depends alot on your current hitch weight rating and how much the camper weighs. you also might consider your gvwr cause more than likely you will be exceeding it if you do need a class 2 hitch and may want to see about getting a different tow vehicle.

Old 04-05-03, 11:29 PM
You can pull about 2000lbs with your van. Maximum tongue weight should be about should be 10 to 15% of your maximum trailer weight. A class I hitch is most of the time considered good to 2000lbs. Your are right on the line, I would go with a class II hitch they are good for a tongue weight of 350lbs and 3500lbs trailer weight.

Old 04-06-03, 02:29 PM
thanks for the info.

do you have a preference for what type of class 2 hitch? i have looked mostly at Reese and they have 2 types: shadow mount and regular. The shadow mount has a thin plate for mounting the ball, the regular has the 1 1/4 inch square for inserting the tow bar. I might like to combine this with a bike rack for when I am not using the trailer. Will I have more options with the 1 1/4 in. box?

thanks

Old 04-06-03, 02:56 PM
I think the more common type is the 1 1/4 box, but the best way to be sure is do look at some things you would be intreated in adding and see what they are.

Old 04-06-03, 04:52 PM
thanks.

reese makes both types: the standard 1 1/4 inch box and the shadow mount which is like a flat bar, not a square box. I am not sure what I would like to add yet, but it seems going with the standard will limit me less.

The flat bar type shadow mount is supposedly easier to install than the square type but neither seems that difficult.

One more question if you will allow: I didn't get the tow package when I bought my new van (2003 Dodge Grand Caravan EX). We will probably only camp a few times a season(if that). Should I look into retrofitting the tow package with the transmission cooler and the sturdier springs?

Thanks

Old 04-06-03, 05:17 PM
If you are going to be driving through mountains or for extended periods of time I would go ahead and get a transmission cooler.