Replacing carpet with Laminate flooring ??

Old 04-16-03, 07:36 PM
tricializ
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Replacing carpet with Laminate flooring ??

Hi. My mother has a 95 Tioga RV. It is in great shape except that the carpet is this ugly brown. I would love to replace it with either new carpet or laminate flooring. Looking for some ideas, tips, etc. for this frustrated do-it-myselfer! Thanks
Tricia

Old 04-17-03, 06:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have seen sheet vinyl work really well for that. Especially if it gets taken to the lake a lot or is going to see quite of bit of water tracked in.

Old 05-07-03, 09:40 AM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
Greetings, I took the old carpet out of my 5th wheel camper, sanded the plywood floor, swept it out real good, put down contact cement and square tile flooring. Best thing I ever did. It looks great, a whole lot easier to keep clean, it doesn't hold odors, and the best and most important detail is "The wife loves it."

Old 05-19-03, 12:00 PM
tricializ
Visiting Guest
Thanks. but, how hard was it?

I am seriously considering the uniclic or non-glue laminate floors because water isn't an issue and it looks great. Plus, I have done a laminate floor in my family room without too much trouble. But, in the areas that carpet will remain, would I just use some trim? I was even thinking about "floating" this floor above the carpet (not removing it at all). What do you all think? Thanks for your help.
Tricia

Old 05-19-03, 02:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would not use the “floating floor idea”. You can get yourself some trim at a home improvement store that should work fine for your application.

Old 05-19-03, 10:58 PM
GodsBeast
Visiting Guest
For what it is worth, Tricializ, I would not float above the carpet either. You say water is not a problem, but, what about a spill, an unexpected leak! Carpet contains to many odors, health hazzards (alergys). Firemen can tell you that carpet gives off 7 different gases when burning.
I would not put a floor over it. My motto, do it right the first time, shorcuts costs too much time, energy, and money. I have learned from dealing with Murphy's law (whatever can go wrong, will).
Anyway, it is just my advise, didn't want to get negative on you and hope which ever way you decide, works out the best for you. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: