97 Blazer Front Axle Carrier Seal Replacement

Old 05-02-03, 10:48 AM
taxman
Visiting Guest
97 Blazer Front Axle Carrier Seal Replacement

Vehicle 97 Chev. Blazer with All Wheel Drive I need to replace the seal behind the flange that the front driveshaft bolts to. After removing the 4 bolts and moving the driveshaft out of the way, do I just remove the large nut? Will the flange and the deflector then come off to replace this seal? What size socket do I need to remove the nut? Are there any special tools needed for this job and should I use lock tight on these nuts and bolts?
Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 11:31 PM
The link below should have the information you are looking for. Just enter the year and model.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 05-09-03, 12:03 AM
taxman
Visiting Guest
I reviewed the site you suggested but it does not give the specifics for replacing just the pinion seal. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 05-10-03, 04:45 PM
It's been quite some time sense I have done anything on a Chevrolet IFS. I would try to get an OEM repair manual for it. But from what I remember you just pull the nut off and use a puller to remove the rest. Having said that I can vaguely remember some GM's that you had to split the case to R&R. I would like to hear hear how it comes out either way.

Old 05-12-03, 08:02 PM
Yes, the nut has to come off, (actual rear end yoke's use 1 in socket to remove) Not sure exactly what size will fit yours. Once the nut is removed, the yoke will have to be pulled. (I have LIGHTLY tapped it, and been able to remove the yoke, but a puller is best.)
The real key to this is getting the yoke correctly torqued back on. I have no idea what the torque specs are, but you need to do it to specs.. Too loose or too tight can buy a tansfer case rebuild..or worse..Aldata, Autozone, or Weldgod's cybrpartspro.com should have this info..