hard Starting

Old 08-03-03, 03:59 PM
1scott
Visiting Guest
hard Starting

I have just purchased a 1987 Tioga. It's in great shape except (always an except, right) when it has been sitting for several hours, it takes a long time and a lot of starter grinding and accelerator pumping for it to start. When the engine is warm or it has been run within the last couple of hours, it starts in a second, really, it seems like the engine doesn't turn over once and it's running.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-03, 09:01 PM
1scott
Visiting Guest
Unhappy More info

(Duh)
I forgot to tell you!
The engine in this m/h is a 460 Ford withe a 4 bbl carb.
It has an automatic transmission.
it only has 86,000 miles and doesn't seem to use any oil - no smoking and the tail pipe is clean.

Old 08-04-03, 05:00 PM
sounds like it may be in need of a carb rebuild, accelerator pump may be bad, try a couple of squirts of starting fluid down the carb before trying to start it if it starts right up suggest you have the carb rebuilt.

Old 08-06-03, 04:57 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest

I AGREE WITH BEJAY ON THIS ONE .......PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND DONT SPRAY TOOOOOO MUCH

Old 08-08-03, 10:22 PM
1scott
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
I opted for the rebuild -- finally found a kit! One of Napa's stores had it. It wasn't exactly the right kit so I had to improvise a little. Got out for a little under $100. $50 for the kit, $20 for a gallon of carb cleaner, $5 for my wife's plastic container I ruined.
Engine starts quick and runs great.
Now if I could just find someone who knows about flex fans. Are they quieter than stock at high rpm (highway speeds)?
Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-09-03, 05:54 AM
if the stock fan does not have a fan clutch a flex fan would be a little quiter if it has a fan clutch the clutch may be locked up causing the fan to turn at regular speed all the time if it has a clutch you should be able to turn the fan engine off fairly easy on a cool engine.

Old 08-14-03, 05:22 PM
I agree with bejay about the clutch fan. If it doesnt operate correctly you can have big cooling problems, and of course the noise.
I do not recommend flex fans. Sure they look nice, but after a personal experience with a flex fan I will never own another one. On my 1966 Chevy PU i have a 400 smallblock and the fan actually disintegrated. I didnt know it till the next time i opened the hood and the fan might have had 2 blades left. No wonder i was running warmer..... This was a few years ago. Now I run a stock fan..... for now.
Billy

Old 08-15-03, 10:46 AM
1scott
Visiting Guest
I understand, but, Billy, you've got to remember you're talking Chevy and no doubt winding it up to 7000 RPM (probably a STREET ROD). I'm talking about a big block Ford which might get up to 4000. Remember this is in a motorhome.
Anyway, I appreciate your words of caution and I am taking it into consideration. Actually, I'm considering an electric fan. That should solve all the problems -- noise and engine drag. Reducing the drag on the engine will give an added benefit-- increased hp and better fuel mileage.
Anyone had any experience retrofitting an electric fan to an older application?
Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-15-03, 05:46 PM
i would opt for the flex fan or a fan clutch if needed and originally equiped.
you could buy an electric fan and fan thermostat and adjust the thermostat to turn the fan on at about 195 degrees but if equiped with a/c it should be hooked up with a relay also to run all the time when the a/c is on as it is needed to reduce the high side pressures on the a/c system.
this is would cost more and would not make a noticable difference in your gas mileage or the power the engine had sure it would free up a few horsepower and probably save a few pennies on gas mileage but as i said not really a noticable difference.