1997silveradopickup will not start

Old 08-20-03, 05:03 AM
abbymax
Visiting Guest
1997silveradopickup will not start

we drove our truck about 250 miles and a few hours later when i went out to start it, it would not start. it just turns over. battery is fine, we took a fuel pump relay to the local auto parts store, one said it could not be tested, one said it could. one said it was alright, one still said can not be tested. this truck ran perfect until it just will not start. we realize it can be many things, any help on where to start would be helpful we do not have the original owner's manual, but we do have the chilton's manual. thank you abbymax i shouldtell you it is a c1500pickup. once again thank you

Last edited by abbymax; 08-20-03 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-20-03, 05:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
start with the basics as in checking it for fire, and checking fuel pressure to check fire you can use a screwdriver by inserting it into the plugwire and holding the plastic handle place the metal shank part of the screwdriver about 3/8 of an inch from something metal so it can arc to it have some on crank the engine over to see if it is getting fire.
next check fuel pressure you may be able to rent a pressure guage at a local parts store to check this there will be a service fiitting on the fuel rail to test fuel pressure and fairly certain this engine needs a minumum of 55 psi for the vehicle to start. if it builds some pressure but not 55 or more suspect bad pump or restricted fuel filter.

Old 09-02-03, 05:39 PM
abbymax
Visiting Guest
to bejay, sorry i took so long to reply. thank you, it was the fuel pump,and we also had to replace the sending unit, which we had to buy from the chevy dealer. again, thank you for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: