tell me about this engine pls

Old 09-19-03, 09:35 AM
M W
tell me about this engine pls

Chevrolet 7.4 Liter gas Engine (454 CID), in 1988 RV with 74,000 miles on it? The coach is beautiful but the engine concerns me. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-03, 05:31 PM
not sure what you want to know about the engine, it was used in alot of heavy duty chassis and for the most part is a decent engine and if it was taken care of maintence wise im sure it probably still has quite abit of life left in it.
if in doubt you can take it to a shop and have them give it a checkover to see if their is any current problems with the engine but this in no way will tell you how much more life it may have.

Old 09-20-03, 07:14 PM
I'd like to know why the engine concerns you. Does it smoke or make strange noises? Do the gauges seem to read especially high or low?

As bejay said, the 454 is pretty much a trouble-free engine as long as it hasn't been abused. I've only had one (and that just for a few months), but I had no problems other than the gas mileage. And that's just the nature of any engine large enough to push one of those land yachts down the road.

Old 09-22-03, 08:37 AM
M W
thanks guys

sorry, I should have given more info....

I am looking at an RV and I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those "whatever you do don't buy the Chevy engine in 1988/7" or something. The unit looks like it has been well cared for, but I am taking a mechanic friend to look more carefully.

mw

Old 09-24-03, 11:04 AM
Try and make sure the engine is cold when you next visit it, look for smoke out of the exaust when first starting it, if you get white smoke the valve seals are shot. On these engines in motorhomes only 2 problems occur frequently, one is the carb, if it has been sitting for a while the carb will gum up and probably need to be rebuilt, the other is the starter, there is a heat shield next to the starter and once these starters get hot it's very hard to restart when hot.
Otherwise these engines are bulletproof and easy to work on. It should give 150/200,000 miles of service with normal maintaince. If the chassis is a P30 it's a very good platform.
If you wind up buying it I'd reccommend changing all fluids, filters, hoses and belts. Plan to spend 500/1000 depending upon where you are located. Change engine oil n filter 3 times a year or every 3000 mile or if towing, pulling large grades or driving in extreme heat every 2000 miles, change trans fluid every year or if you ever overheat it and the engine should run forever.