wont start cold

Old 09-22-03, 07:55 PM
wont start cold

I have a '97 F-250 w/ 5.8 ltr efi engine,auto, 2wd, the problem I'm having is when it gets down to 40 degrees or lower it wont start without holding my foot on the gas pedel as i turn the key and then I have to hold my foot on the gas till it warms up whitch varies in time depending on how cold it is. I dont have this problem during the summer months for the obvious resons, but now that its starting to get cold its starting to act up again. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm prety handy, would this be a DIYS'er?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-03, 05:22 PM
if the check engine light ever comes on you should start by having codes checked, autozone if you have one localy can usually retrieve the codes for you.
also suggest that you check the throttle plate and clean if needed you can check this with the air intake hose off and having someone hold the throttle open to see if there is any buildup that could be restricting airflow by the throttle plate. can clean with carb cleaner or you can check with your ford dealer for the appropiate cleaner, i would start here and see if it makes any difference.

Old 09-27-03, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I'm thinking if the throtel plate was dirty I would have this problem in the summer months as well, wouldn't I? As far as the Ford dealer gose, I took it there for this very problem almost four years ago and they had no clue, and yet this happens every year when the temperature falls below 40.

Old 09-27-03, 08:48 AM
usually any build up on the throttle plate will be more noticable when the engine is cold, and it may not be your problem but only takes a few minutes to check.
what you are doing by opening the throttle is allowing more air into the engine it has a base idle of around 600 rpm and the computer can raise it as needed by using the idle air control valve.
with the engine warmed up and all accessories off if you unplug the iac valve it should continue to run but at a very low idle around 600 rpm if it dies i would suggest you try cleaning the throttle plates as you do not have sufficient airflow past them to have a base idle speed.
other possible problem areas is the iac valve itself you may try cleaning it to see if it helps, but if it isnt working when its cold your truck will not start and stay running when cold without holding the throttle open as the low base idle may be enough to keep the engine running on a warm day but not when its cold out.
the coolant temp sensor could also cause a problem if its not accurately reading the correct temp it could be flooding the engine if its reading colder than what it actually is or if its reading warmer than what the temp actually is the computer will not open the iac valve enough as it believes the engine is warm.
any shop should be able to diagnose it for you but your will have to leave it with them overnight when it is cold enough for it to act up and they can actually see the problem.

Old 09-27-03, 11:09 AM
Hey thanks bejay, I appreciate your advise, very helpful, I'll check those things out and hopefuly it solves my preblem.