Transmission Help Needed

Old 10-06-03, 11:58 PM
N
noneln
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Transmission Help Needed

We have a 2001 Gulfstream Class C with a 454 engine and automatic transmission. All of a sudden we have no reverse. When we put it into reverse, it acts like it is still in neutral. We have checked the fluid and added some. Did not help. Any suggestions as to what to check out would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-03, 04:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: noneln

I moved your question into this Automotive forum to ensure you get a reply to the question. The Trucks forum does not have a professional moderator to provide you with an answer.

This Automotive forum does. I am sure the professionals in this forum will have the answer to provide you with the solution.

Old 10-14-03, 06:32 AM
J
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It likely has a GM transmission in it with that engine.

How old is the fluid and filter? When was the last time it was serviced? What was the condition of the fluid when you checked? Mileage on the vehicle?

It has been answered by me and moved back to the appropriate forum.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-14-03 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-14-03, 11:22 AM
N
noneln
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
It likely has a GM transmission in it with that engine.

How old is the fluid and filter? When was the last time it was serviced? What was the condition of the fluid when you checked? Mileage on the vehicle?

It has been answered by me and moved back to the appropriate forum.

Old 10-14-03, 11:24 AM
N
noneln
Visiting Guest
The Motorhome only has about 37,000 miles. Fluid is OK (pink) and at level. It does not make any unusual noises and also when in neutral, it tried to go forward!!

Old 10-14-03, 03:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The trans should be an Allison and it sounds like an electrical problem.If you can find the gray connector at the trans control module disconnect it and see if you have reverse.If you do its electrical,most likely the neutral safety/reverse lamp switch.If it doesn't help its a hydralic problem(valve body or damaged C5 clutch)or you have a set of planetary gears smoked.I am sorry I don't know where the module is on a motorhome.Any repairs other than the neutral switch are not DIY in my opinion.A shop may be able to pull codes to aid in diagnoses.