battery being sucked dry

Old 10-19-03, 03:16 AM
teds tools
Visiting Guest
battery being sucked dry

We put a 12 volt battery in our 1984 chevy 24ft travelmaster motorhome and ever since the motor battery is dead every 5 days if you don't take the vehicle out and drive it! I've moved the switches all kinds of ways( there is nothing that says ithe 12 volt is in use or not-just hooked up or not hooked up) and I can find NOTHING in the coach on or nothing to indicate that the 12 volt is running so it could be pulling from the auto battery. I'm at a loss as to what to do except pull the 12 volt out and they are heavy to move around every time you want to use it in there. Any thoughts??? Thanks In Advance
Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-03, 12:47 PM
Not an expert here but in the past I have done this to locate a power draw. I'm sure the pro's will be along soon, with their ideas.

You could temporarily put an amp meter in line with the positive battery cable, disconnect the positive battery lead from the battery, and use the leads from the amp meter to get power again from the battery back to the coach. Don't try to start the vehicle with this in line or you will have a mess to deal with.

A digital volt ohm meter usually has a 10 amp limit, be careful.
You might start with a analog amp meter, like an after market dash guage if you suspect a heavy amp draw, of more than 10 amps.

If the amp meter shows a draw after you get it hooked up, start pulling fuses one at a time until the amp draw drops to zero or a few milliamps because some components draw slight power to keep their memory. This will help you get it narrowed down to a specific circuit.

If all else fails, you could wire in a battery disconnect switch to stop the battery drain.