Tank indicators

Old 10-28-03, 04:48 PM
Tank indicators

Could someone please explain to me (in detail) just how the level sensors work in the three holding tanks in a RV. My wife and I just returned from a long trip (six weeks) and I feel that we may have a small problem. What is the best way to flush your black water holding tank? The pipe under our comode doesn't go straight down (like our old RV) but turns at a 45 degree angle. The only way I knew to do was to stick a hose pipe 6 to 8 inches down in the comode and turn it on almost full blast. I would then flush the system out until I would get clear water. The only thing, with little use (liquid only) the indicator would very soon show FULL. Could anyone have any idea what is happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-03, 08:00 AM
The tanks use a float, like a gas tank. A float basically is a hollow ball on a rod that floats in the tan and sends back a signal either electrically or mechanically to a gauge. Your linkage may have come apart. Using a full blast with a water hose may have disconnected it. The tank may have to be dropped and the linage reconnected or you can use the tank and dump it every week or so. Also toilet paper can be stuck on it. I use a 2 pound coffee can and plastic line it and throw my paper in it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-05, 07:18 PM
Jimmb
Visiting Guest
Tank sensors

Hi Jack,
I have owned an rv for 20 years and have never heard of a holding tank with a float and valve set up. Most are a set of "pins" that are installed in the tanks at different levels or are "radio" controled .If you can tell me how old your RV is and what kind I will give you more specific information.

Jim

Old 01-30-05, 08:40 PM
I have gone as far as filling the black water tank to about 1/4 and going for a drive through the "twisty bits". The sloshing action helps loosen up anything "glued"in place.

Old 01-31-05, 03:56 AM
Tank sensors

Thanks for the replys. Jimmb, to answer your question, my RV is a Rockwood, built by Forrest River and is a little over a year old. It's 32 foot long and is 8600 lbs. (it is an ultra-lite, aluminum construction). Also, it is a 5th wheel.

Old 02-03-05, 09:47 AM
Jimmb
Visiting Guest
Tank indicators

Hi Jack,
Was out of town and just got your message. I will reply to you as soon as I can(1 or 2 days)

Jimmb

Old 02-05-05, 06:58 AM
Jimmb
Visiting Guest
Tank Indicarors

Hi Jack,
I would think by the year of your unit it would have a "radio"sensing setup.If you look at the holding tank you should find a strip of aluminum tape running vertically on the outside of the tank. There should be an attachment about an inch to an inch and a half square with different coloured wires running out of it beside the aluminum strip. The way I am told it works is that a frequency is passed through the aluminum tape and it senses how high the water or any other fluid is and is sent to your "monitoring station" and converted to a visable light system. In my motorhome it is led's that show "E" for empty,1/4 full,1/2 full,3/4 full and "F" for full . I have had this motorhome for 10 years and have had no trouble with this systems accuracy and it requires no maintenance.If yours is the "pin" type there will be 4 or 5 "pins installed vertically in the tank.In this case the bottom "pin" is common and the pin above the bottom one will be 1/4 full and so on. The "sensing "takes place when the water or any other fluid in the tank touches the bottom "pin" and any other "pin" . EG the tank is 1/4 full. That means the bottom"pin" and the "pin" above it are covered with water . The water completes the circuit and the "monitorind station" will show 1/4 full and so on. With this system the "pins' on the inside of the tank will ,for various reasons become corroded or covered with toilet paper in the case of the black water tank, and give false readings. The only way that I know to clean them is to remove each "pin" and clean with an abbrasive(sandpaper). Sometimes it is impossible to get to these "pins" and the tanks have to be removed(BIG JOB)
This system is old technology and requires maintenance.
Hope this explanation helps.If I have not made anything clear,email me.

Jim Martin
[email protected]

Old 02-05-05, 07:10 AM
Jimmb
Visiting Guest
Tank Indicators

Hi Jack,
I re-read your letter and another point is that your monitoning system may need "calibrating". If yours is the "radio" type there is an adjustment on the "monitor panel. As I don't know how long you have been RVing I would suggest that ,in the case of the black water tank,keep the dump valve shut untill the tank is full and then open the valve to drop the sewage. Most of the time with the water excaping at a high volumn,all the sewage will be removed.I installed a "flushing" system on my black water tank that works excellent. If you are interested email me.

Jim Martin
[email protected]