Ford Ranger 4 x 4

Old 11-05-03, 02:40 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger 4 x 4

A mechanic recently told me that my front disc rotors could use machining but that it would be a big job. The reason? He says that most/all of the 4 x 4 assembly would have to be removed to get at the rotors.

Has he been sniffing engine fluids or is he right?

Old 11-05-03, 05:31 PM
B
you didnt state what year the vehicle was as most newer models the rotor just slides right off, older models you do have to take off the 4wd hubs which is not that big of a deal and might take an additional half an hour over conventional 2 wheel drive hubs. suggest you get another opinion at another shop and have them check the rotors and measure them to see if they can even be turned as they do have a minimum thickness and may need to be replaced instead of turned.

Old 11-06-03, 12:47 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Or you could call around some of the newer shops will have a machine that will turn rotors while they are on the truck.

Old 11-06-03, 02:48 PM
E
It's a 1992 XLT with the electric 4 x 4 deal. (that puppy never worked right ;-) When you say '4 x 4 hubs' bejay, do you mean just the chrome dohickeys on the exposed axle? One of them fell off when I was changing a tire (I popped it back on & everything was OK)--if that's what you mean, it shouldn't be all that much work.

No, I don't suspect the guy of padding the bill (known him for 25 years or so) but lately his work has been getting a little sloppy so I thought I'd ask around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: