96 F-150 4.9L engine question

Old 11-18-03, 10:10 PM
Lowdrag
Visiting Guest
96 F-150 4.9L engine question

I have a 96 F-150 4.9L. When I was driving today I got a check engine light. I could only put the gas pedal about half way down and the engine would start to die out. It would do this from half way down all the way to the floor. After I stopped at a store and came back out it stopped. It did start doing it again further down the road. I changed the fuel filter and took it to have the fuel system flushed and it still does it. I bought one of those code readers and it said that it is running lean and also running rich. Does anyone have any info that can help me figure this out? I am thinking that it could be a sensor but am not sure.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-03, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like it is running lean a couple things you should have done is fuel pressure tested this will need to be done when the vehicle is acting up to find out if fuel pressure is dropping, or if it has dual tanks see if the problem occurs on both tanks.
also might check maf sensor this is the sensor usually on your aircleaner has 2 screws to remove sensor and clean off any debris on the 2 small wires using carb cleaner better off not phsically touching the wires if you dont have to if you do dont apply much pressure as they can break easily.
if you could actually list the codes number that you retrieved from the computer it would likely help some also as the definitions on some manuals are not that great.

Old 11-20-03, 10:51 AM
Lowdrag
Visiting Guest
The code that it gave me was P0171 and P0172. I have a haynes manual but it doesn't say what the problem is. I appreciate any help you all can give.

Thanks

Old 11-20-03, 06:17 PM
very unusual to get a lean and rich code off the same bank may have a bad o2 sensor on bank 1. suggest clearing the codes first then rechecking codes when the light comes on again to see if both codes return or just one.
does the problem occur most of the time or just every once in a while does it clear up or just get worse as you apply the gas over half way does it matter whether the engine is warm or cold.
still suggest you check fuel pressure and the maf sensor and if problem occurs all the time when the engine is warm you should have the exhaust system checked for a restriction also.

Old 11-20-03, 08:17 PM
Uh Oh

I agree with Bejay, I think I good place to start would be the MAF and faulty fuel pressure. There is also the possibility of leaking or faulty fuel injectors or a vacuum leek. As Bejay suggests a good starting place would be to clear you codes and start again.