Help in R&R lower ball joints 97 ford explorer 4X4

Old 11-28-03, 11:00 AM
tfpeterson44
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help in R&R lower ball joints 97 ford explorer 4X4

I'm trying to R&R lower ball joints on a 97 ford explorer 4X4! Does anyone have experience doing so? If so, do I need to remove the lower control arm to do so or is there a better way? I have the chilton's manual on this but it is leaving some unanswered questions because the ball joint procedure is for the earlier model explorers with the I-Beam front suspension!!

Thanks for your help bejay! I do have a press, fork, airtools etc. Just wanting to know the best, simpliest & right way to do the repair! I have the Chilton's manual but it doesn't state the 4x4 suspension well on the ball joint removal! Needing to know if I need to remove the torsion bar & lower control arm to do so or what! I have one side apart right now trying to figure it out! I think I do need to remove the torsion bar & lower arm, but that is getting into alot of work that I hate to do if it is not necessary! If so though, I need to know and I can just get busy doing so!

Last edited by tfpeterson44; 11-29-03 at 04:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-03, 05:09 PM
well you will want a ball joint press tool to remove and install the ball joint easily, check with your local parts store to see if one is available to rent. also a seperating fork to seperate control arm from knuckle. you may even consider having a shop perform this for you as it is alot easier with air tools.
check the link below for removal and install information.
http://doityourself.com/to/cybrrparts.htm

Old 11-30-03, 05:25 PM
As I stated in the Automotive Forum when you posted this question there.... The lower ball joints on this vehicle are only servicable with the complete lower control arm assembly. This is what Alldata tells me.
Billy