1978 ford 250 ranger

Old 12-04-03, 02:17 PM
BOGIE
Visiting Guest
1978 ford 250 ranger

I just bought a 1978 ford 250 ranger with 125,000 miles on it.Runs good.I am getting some white smoke,the valve gaskets look like they are new.I did change the top rad. hose and had coolant leaking on the engine next to the oil dipstick hole.The white smoke is it something to be real concerned about?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-03, 04:55 PM
Question

What engine is in this?
Is the smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Does it linger around awhile? Does it smell sweet? If you answered yes could be a head gasket problem, cracked block or head. What color is the coolant? How does the oil look, what coloris it, if it looks like chocolate milk you have a problem.

Or if it is cold out it could be normal condensation.

Old 12-04-03, 08:04 PM
BOGIE
Visiting Guest
comtnman

Sorry,It's a 460.No it does not have a sweet smell and the oil looks fine not a milky choc. color.Green is the coolant and yes it is very cold, about 35-40 degrees.Smoke coming from the exhaust when i first start up but once I am driving It's seems to be fine.

Old 12-05-03, 05:32 PM
keep an eye on your coolant level for a few weeks if you dont have any coolant loss it is likely just condensation in the exhaust which is normal.

Old 12-05-03, 06:49 PM
BOGIE
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bejay,I think it's going to need a rebuilt everytime I start it it smokes white and a faint blue.When I driving it's ok, But i noticed today everytime I stop at red light and then start off it smokes.I am not losing any power no nosie in the engine.I found a rebuilt for 1,228 good price?

Old 12-05-03, 09:02 PM
that seems like a decent price but that does not mean it is a great buy depending on the remanufacturer and how well they stand behind their engines if something does go wrong.

Old 12-06-03, 07:31 PM
BOGIE
Visiting Guest
bejay

12,000 or one year which ever comes first.