Chassis/Frame building

Old 12-07-03, 11:22 PM
Chassis/Frame building

I actually might put my plans to build a new bed for my Ranger on hold. I just got an idea for a very original custom truck, but it would require a custom built frame. I'm interested in any internet links, books to recommend, any information you guys can give me on frame and chassis building.

I took out a book at my local library that was written based on Boyd Coggington (sp?)'s hot rod shop, and I saw the basic way they designed them, but there are something like 20-40 some-odd measurements they have to take into account to get the frame at the right ride height, length, width, etc. I need to know how to determine these measurements.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mathius

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-03, 05:19 AM
Meticulously measure the original. Measure every conceivable angle. Write it down and then decide what you want the end result to be. Are you using the original suspension components or other components? It makes a difference. Wheels, Tires, rear suspension width, location of the attaching components, etc...There are many factors to decide upon here before you can make the first cut. Most important thing is to have fun with it!
You may be able to get some help with this from Classic Trucks Magazine. Do a search for them online and maybe email their editor with a similar question as you have posted here.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy