tail gate problem

Old 12-12-03, 05:32 AM
W
wwc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tail gate problem

I have a 95 chevy half ton pickup.
My problem is that the tailgate wants to come unhooked from the side latches, it's like the gate side "pins" don't come out all the way after it's been opened because if i use a screwdriver and "pop" the pins by compressing them back and then releasing them fast they will come out far enough to latch good and close.
I have tried removing the screws from the inside middle section of the gate where the handle is on the opposite side and spraying in some lube but that didn't help at all.
What can i do.
thanks.

Old 12-14-03, 05:11 AM
Did you try to lubricate the pins? Sounds to me like that is where the problem is.
Billy

Old 12-14-03, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Had a similar problem once with a Ford. Removed a panel on the inside of the tailgate (Torx screws) and cleaned and lubricated the whole latching mechanism. Worked like new.

Old 12-14-03, 09:47 PM
W
wwc
yes i have tried to lube everything up real good but didn't help at all.
I removed the torx screws from inside but on my truck there is no panel to get at things. The only thing that happens is after removing the torx screws the handle is disconnected from the other side and the only thing i could do was spray through the holes of the removed torx screws and try and work things some, and then carfully line back up the handle to the screws.
Didn't help at all.

Old 12-20-03, 07:48 PM
Something is binding the pins. You need to take the gate as far apart as you can and inspect for anything that might be bent or in a bind. Then lubricate well and reassemble.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-21-03, 07:14 PM
W
wwc
Thats what I would like to do but i can't figure out how to get it apart to clean and lube it all.
Any ideas?

Old 02-01-04, 02:43 PM
W
wwc
Any one know how to take apart the tailgate to clean and lube the workings inside.

Old 02-11-04, 05:40 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
Re: tail gate problem

Originally posted by wwc
I have a 95 chevy half ton pickup.
My problem is that the tailgate wants to come unhooked from the side latches, it's like the gate side "pins" don't come out all the way after it's been opened because if i use a screwdriver and "pop" the pins by compressing them back and then releasing them fast they will come out far enough to latch good and close.
I have tried removing the screws from the inside middle section of the gate where the handle is on the opposite side and spraying in some lube but that didn't help at all.
What can i do.
thanks.
If you ever force the handle to open the gate a few times it binds the rods. They could be bent out of shape, therefor the gate will not shut. If the latches come out all the way with the rods disconnected from the latch and not when together, you need new rods from the handle to the latch.

Old 02-11-04, 05:42 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
If you ever force the handle to open the gate a few times it binds the rods. They could be bent out of shape, therefor the gate will not shut. If the latches come out all the way with the rods disconnected from the latch and not when together, you need new rods from the handle to the latch

Old 02-11-04, 08:36 AM
W
wwc
I don't have a problem getting the gate to close because after i "pop" the ends with a screwdriver then they come all the way out and the gate stays closed till next time it's open.
then it's back to popping them again.

Does anyone know how to take the gate apart or how to get the rods out?

Old 02-11-04, 09:16 AM
frank997
Visiting Guest
rod removale

The handle comes off first. usually there is two bolts holding the handle on. Probably from the inside of the tailgate. Note to where the rods connect to each side., then disconnect them. Next unbolt the two side latches, and pull out. You will see where the rods connect. They may be bowed some what. I don't think straightening these will help for they are weakend more each time metal bends. Best thing to do is to replace them both if needed.

Old 07-14-04, 01:54 PM
W
wwc
Thumbs up thanks

I finally got it all apart and the rods are good and straight,no bends at all.

But i cleaned and lubed the mechanism at the handle because it didn't seem to want to release very well.
I worked the tips where the rods attach to it back and forth in and out and after a while it started to loosen up and i put it all back together and it closes great now.
thanks to you all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: