89 Ford RANGER...smoke???

Old 02-11-04, 12:35 PM
SamNglenallen
Visiting Guest
89 Ford RANGER...smoke???

Hi,

My son has this p/u...it started smoking after he made a 2hr trip up to see me.

The smoke is white...it comes a bit from the tailpipe, but mostly from somewhere on the left side of the engine~~~somewhere around the intake mainfold (generally diectly below the carb) and above the oil filter...unable to be sure as the radiator fan is whipping it up a bit while we were trying to localize the source.

I have never seen a muffler blow up~~~but I did just a few moments ago...geez almost needed a change of clothes!!!...LOL!!!

We had just finished scoping it out from above and below after cleaning the engine and compartment...let the engine run awhile to dry out any left over water...

Turned the key off and BOOM...dang thing burst right where the bed and cab come together...BLACK CARBON AND BROWN SMOKE blew straight up tween the space tween the two...scared the bejeebers out of me!...so loud my wife came running out to see what that was???

Funny now tho!!!

So what do you experts think is the source of my smoking problem...and how do I fix it?

Thanx for anything you can provide!

Sam

Old 02-11-04, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smokey

My take on it is that the cylinder head gasket might have busted. Or your heads might be warped or misshapen. I would start checking for a busted head gasket. If you have an automatic transmission your smoke could be form ATF in the motor through vacuum hose and connections. But I think you should start with the head gasket.

Old 02-15-04, 05:17 PM
pa001
Visiting Guest
try posting your problem on .
thrrangerstation.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: