Removing RV cupboards

Old 05-24-08, 02:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing RV cupboards

Hi all,

I am in the process of repairing some water damage on my RV. To do a good job, I need to dismantled some storage cupboards hanging in the angle between a wall and the ceiling. How are these things attached? I don't see mount hardware anywhere.

Thanks to all
StA

Old 05-24-08, 02:57 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Look inside the cabinets. See if there is a hangrail with screws. If more than one cabinet, the face frames are usually screwed together. Look for screws in face frame.

Old 05-24-08, 05:32 PM
M
You may have to remove upper panel, inside cupboard, and lower panel inside cupboard, as well as end panels to access framing that is screwed to walls & ceiling. Sometimes I'll remove lower outer panel if I can do it without damaging the panel too badly, but usually removing the inner ones gives you better opportunity to hide any damage should it occur. If you don't see 1x1 or thereabouts above panelled surface inside cupboards as framing for attaching, then you'll probably have to carefully pry panels up/down & out to access attaching screws on framing. Usually only crown staples or brad nails holding those panels in. Remember too, if your trying to separate a set of cupboards, they are usually screwed together from both sides, which requires removing both inner panels where they meet. Sometimes better to take it all down as one unit, and leave together in the middle or wherever your trying to separate?

Old 05-31-08, 08:43 AM
S
Getting there but still stuck

Thank you both for your replies.

By removing the inside finishing panels of the cupboards I was able to get to and remove mounting screws. However the cupboards appear be also screwed in from the top, i.e. ceiling. That means removing the roof to get to those screws. Can it be that complicated?

Are there pictures on the Net of trailers and campers during construction?

StA

Old 05-31-08, 05:54 PM
M
Shouldn't be. They are usually mounted from the inside. Look for a small hole in frame where you think the screw is attaching to roof. Sometimes they sink the screw so deep, it's hard to see the hole. You may have to poke the hole with something thin to see if you can feel head of screw. I've had some that I had to go along with a bright flashlight, just to see what looked like a pinhole. If that doesn't work, try prying down from roof enough to see if you can determine by the way the threads are, which way the screw came in. You shouldn't have to remove the roof to get at them. Any pictures ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: