2004 gmc sierra

Old 02-29-04, 07:18 AM
2004 gmc sierra

i just purchased a new GMC 4x4 pkup,and looking thru the owners manual specs./capacities,GM doesn't list a brand name for the pwr.steering fluid,just some part #. any GMC pkup folks got a answer?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 10:29 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
the number you see is a gm part number for the fluid .as long it is dot 3 you should be ok.but hey its a BRAND NEW TRUCK you have at least 5 years before you have to worry about it ...just like your everyday vehicle keep check on ALL the fluids and keep maintanice up on it ..i highly suggest keep the oil changed at 3000 miles,tires rotated every 6000 miles,and then every 12000 miles have your tires balanced. hope this helps

Old 02-29-04, 03:47 PM
thanks fordman30,
its not like the Old"days where you could just about put anthing in a vehicle. As i'm sure you know the different manufastures have
their own brand,grade and such for everything. I stillhaven;t figured out the various anti-freeze game yet. I know some of my ford products call for Gm fluids,along with Ford fluids. But,put in the wrong stuff and "good-bye"warranty.

Old 03-03-04, 10:26 AM
well,i'm back with the same question. What is the NAME for the pwr.steering fluid used in the 2004 gmc pkup?
I called two GMC service managers and they said,"any brand of power steering fluid is o.k."
O.K. i said,can i use DEXRON 111? (used in GM products) no!
i'm not comfortable with these answers,maybe its just me,but i
think the GM power steering fluid should have a name attached to a part #. I don't see my local auto store giving me something that just has a part# associated with it.
thanks,
daswede

Old 03-09-04, 06:54 PM
The part# you have will be on a quart bottle and will also say GM power steering fluid.You can use any power steering fluid it should suffice.Dexron III is transmission fluid and not recommended for use in power steering systems on GM vehicles.Some power steering systems use ATF yours doesn't.I hope this helps.

Old 03-10-04, 05:36 AM
Hi DAVO,
appreciate your reply. I would have preffered to use a Gm product rather than just "something off the shelf". what with warranty issues and such.
daswede

Old 03-10-04, 03:52 PM
On a 2004 if you need to add power steering fluid a trip to the dealer is needed to fix a leak, power steering systems should not use fluid.

Old 03-10-04, 04:59 PM
davo,
Your right. The reason i posted is that i like to keep fluids and the like on hand in case i need them.

Old 05-18-11, 09:23 PM
Check this out... Go to the auto parts store and grab a container that says "Power Steering Fluid" on it. Then you will have something to keep on hand in case you need it. If you do happen to need it, go ahead and add it to your power steering fluid reservoir. That should tide you over long enough to drive to the dealer since, as we've already discussed, power steering systems do not consume fluid, and you have leak or other problem that needs to be fixed.
Sincerely,
A GMC pkup folk.

Old 05-19-11, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Yo, Tanker; this thread is over 7 years old.