My RV engine

Old 03-23-04, 04:45 PM
M W
My RV engine

I might have tried this before here so forgive me:

For you folks who like to build engines and maximize performance, here's what I am asking. What would you do if you wanted more power (to pull hills and pass) out of your heavy 35 foot RV. It's an 87 454, never has to be smogged again, and sits stock (or very close to it). Now some don't like to address the "smog" issue so if you don't think that adds to anything or maybe you can't buy a better exhaust without the smog stuff....leave that part out. The coach is great, in great shape, but the engine needs work. Mostly from just sitting. But since I'm starting a project, I might as well get a list of things that will make it move down the highway and stay somewhat worry free.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 06:00 PM
You need an rv cam,higher compression pistons and headers.The cam will need to be selected according to the rpm's you intend to run while needing power.I don't know your trans or final drive ratios.Buy a tach take it for a ride youll know where it needs help.Compression can be raised slightly with pistons but don't go too far because you may want to shave the heads a little also.Remember though you will need better fuel or an additive to keep spark knock at a minimum.Headers would also help but keep the primary tubes small for added torque at lower rpms which is where you need it.I would clean the heads up slightly in the intake and exhaust port areas without enlarging them any if possible.Just smooth them out with a rotary tool.Play with initial timing and the advance curve to fine tune the power.Nitrous would give you the power for passing and for hills but the reliability may not be there.An underhood blower may also be an option,in an rv you must insulate against heat from the engine or exhaust,if you use headers they will need to be wrapped in a insulating fireproof material(readily available).Let us know what idea you like and we could build from there,you have several possible avenues but they are not cheap but added performance never is.You will also suffer mileage loss on a vehicle that has poor mileage initially.

Old 03-24-04, 09:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Factors To Consider

Hello: M W

All that Davo suggested is possible and will help obtain the final results...more horsepower. However, there is or may be problems ahead.

In California the smog inspection is more than just an exhaust fume sampling. Everything is inspected, as you know.

All changes visable will be noted. Adding or exchanging of manifolds, exhaust systems, headers, Nitrous Oxide, etc will be noted prior to the testing.

Even changing a gas cap is noted! Also a test item as well as the smog system. Which means any changes must still meet the smog requirements or the test is halted, until the corrections are made, back to OEM or those approved.

A few things to consider prior to making any changes or alterations. The smog cops are watching us all...

Not sure if engine internal changes will be exposed to the testing machines. However, they may be, since ignition system changes are noted, as well as engine rpm, etc. by the testing machinery.

The dyno used can also determine engine horsepower and power curves at road speeds. Also rpms of engine timings for road speeds and loads. The machines are that good and better.

"My Two Cents"

Regards. (A resident of Ca. too)
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor