Ford Truck

Old 03-29-04, 10:56 AM
Ford Truck

I found out this weekend while I had someone replacing my back brakes that my front lower ball joints are ready to fall out, along with slop in my steering, being that a pitman arm is wore.

I was told that it is best to replace the upper ball joints at the same time, but the cost is $90 a piece since the entire upper control arm comes with the ball joint.

Can't I just buy some time? It is a 97 4X4 with 124,000 miles.

They jacked the truck up and with a pry bar, pulled up on the tire, and you could hear the lower ball joints flopping in the wind. The upper's were tight, and no movement whatsoever.

Is it true that Ford's are notorious for going through front end ball joints?

I am using this 1/2 ton extenda cab as a plumbing rig, and it is crying for less weight.

I beefed up the suspension already with extra leafs in the back, Gas Magnum shocks, and spring coils around the rear shocks.

I was told that the ball joints are a serious issue that must be addressed soon.

And I am also glad to hear that the new ball joints have grease fittings.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 04:16 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
well mr. dunbar its just now getting broke in now.i serouisly suggest getting them replaced QUICK!! they could pop out and where would you be .hmmmmmmmmm

Old 03-29-04, 06:33 PM
Sunday is when I am getting them done.

I think I also have a front caliper that is forcing the pads to wear out prematurely; how do you know by any testing how to figure if a caliper is junk or not?

No leaking whatsoever.

What became of your drain situation?

Old 03-30-04, 05:48 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
take the front tires off and see if one side is wearing more than the other.you may have a sticking caliper.my drain situation its a big joke ...i had the guys to come out and clean my septic tank .they couldnt find it so, i had to.i dug and dug and more digging to follow my drain pipe.my drain goes about 20 feet away from the house and 30 feet toward the side of my house and 15 feet back to my house..my tank is about 4-5 feet from my house.when i found it they came back to clean it .now i just got re-route my drain pipe.thanks for asking

Old 04-16-04, 10:39 PM
2 lower ball joints were installed, along with a pitman arm.

Tightened up the front end a great deal, but I still have that damn grinding sound every now and then when braking.

All pads are wearing even, nothing seems to be hanging up.

This sound I swear sounds like it is an uneven surface for sure, and only occurs when braking. It is more common in short braking distances with little resistance, rather than speeding or driving fast and then all of a sudden have to stop.

A great deal of minds don't know what is the problem here.......and I don't either.........getting tired of hearing the problem thinking it is doing damage to something.

I cannot figure it out for the life of me. I know the truck is weighed down for sure,,,,,,,,but what is the relevance to that?

Old 04-17-04, 04:41 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
hmmmmm let me see if i read this right there only grinding when brakes are applied.do you feel ANY vibratrion while braking. REPLACE THE BRAKES AND HAVE THE ROTORS TURNED,,, AND NO DONT USED A CHEAP PAD\

Old 04-17-04, 08:03 AM
I used Raybestos metallic pads, the best ones for the truck, and the rotors and discs are brand new, but there is no shuddering at any speed, indicating that the drums or rotors are uneven.

The grinding is consistent when it happens, but only intermittent and the body is usually in a twisting motion when it happens.