2000 Ford MH F53 Chassis Front End Problems

Old 04-28-04, 07:20 AM
Pepsiman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 2000 Ford MH F53 Chassis Front End Problems

Hi
I have a Rexhall Motor Home on a Ford F53 Chassis. The front end on this MH has a solid I beam axel. I would like to know what the proper procedure for checking the Tie Rod ends and the steering linkage would be. Also the front wheel bearings for slop and wear. This MH has about 43000 miles on it. The front tires are new& have been balanced. ( Tires are 19.5 Goodyear RV ) This vehicle has Feedback to the steering wheel and very noticable front end vibration at highway speeds of 50 plus mph.

Thanks for Your Help
Ken

I would also like to know where I might purchase an inexpensive Radial Runout Gauge so that I may check my tires and rims.
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-04, 12:19 PM
Post Tie Rods and Other Stuff

Checking the steering linkage is rater specific action or each vehicle. To check the tie rod you need to check the rubber socket for break down if it equipped with them. Or excessive movement of the system when moved by hand and the motor home is on a lift. The whole system should be quite rigid and not loose. Excessive movement means you have an issue. The professional way to check is to check for movement, check for movement that is passed the vehicles factory specs. The pitman arm should move as one with the rest of the steering linkage. Have you had the motorhome aliened?

Old 04-30-04, 06:42 AM
Pepsiman
Visiting Guest
Matt

Yes new Goodyear 19.5 RV tires were installed and the frontend was laser aligned.

Thanks
Ken

Matt

Yes it still had some vibration after the tires & balance. I later added to all 4 wheels a product called Balance Masters which are discs with a tube of mercury mounted on it outer edge and come into action above 15 mph. The Balance Masters made quite an improvement , but there is still the matter of Feedback to the steering wheel.

Thanks
Ken

Last edited by Pepsiman; 05-20-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-03-04, 04:54 PM
Post Another Question

Did it vibrate at over 50mph right after it was aliened and balanced?