Automatic Transmission Shifting Problem

Old 05-11-04, 01:20 AM
fstedy
Visiting Guest
Automatic Transmission Shifting Problem

I have a 1982 Chev. K20 pickup with 350 cid and a TH350 Tranny. My problem is that when the weather gets warm and the engine is up to normal operating temperature it shifts very slowly into 3rd. gear when I accelorate and let off the throttle other wise it doesn't want to shift into 3rd. When the weather is cooler or on shorter trips when engine temps are lower it shifts normally. This transmission was rebuilt just before I purchased the truck and has about 15,000 miles on it also all fluids are at the proper levels. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 01:46 PM
Th350

Do you drive it hard (fast)? It could be a bunch of things but first I would check the vac. modulator. Itís a cheap thing to check to start off with. It could be clogged have parts blocked, but I doubt that is the problem, but its worth a quick check. It could also be worn down clutch pack. Or you direct clutch area could be worn down in 3rd gear.

Old 05-13-04, 04:46 PM
fstedy
Visiting Guest
The only time the truck is run a little hard is getting up to speed in traffic. Normally its driven only 7 miles to and from work at about 35 MPH.

I wouldn't think their would be any internal problems with the recent rebuild but you don't know the quality of the job your are getting. When it starts to misshift it is very slow and sluggish to shift. Later when the temperature warms more you have to run the speed up in second gear then let off some and it will usually shift up after several tries ( when it does shift up it shifts firmly, could this be a sticky valve ).

Old 05-19-04, 09:02 AM
Exclamation TH350 Trouble

I donít think the shift valve is part of your problem. I think the reason is one of two things. One could be that you are loosing pressure in the direct pressure area in 3rd gear. Or you could be loosing pressure when the fluid gets warm or hot. Either way it more than likely time for a trip to the tranny shop.

Old 12-17-04, 05:29 PM
Wink 3rd gear problem?

3rd gear and reverse are the same clutch pack. is reverse ok? if reverse is ok then its probably not an internal problem int that case it could be a weak spring on the 2-3 shifter valve or the govener is hanging up i don't think its the governer but its possible. anyhow if you know nothing about repairing transmissions don't even try it. i think the valvebody will have to be pulled down to check the 2-3 shifter valve. but bring it to a tranny shop. not a gas station that does repairs. good luck. it should be a valve body problem if reverse is ok.

Old 12-18-04, 09:37 PM
fstedy
Visiting Guest
thanks Sal I'll take to a tranny shop