1979 Toyota Truck 20R

Old 05-23-04, 07:40 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1979 Toyota Truck 20R

Hi..My engine seems to have developed a knock in the seem's to start after it warm's a little..What is the worst case here engine replacement or could there be a cheaper fix?

Thankyou..

Brian

Old 05-23-04, 09:25 AM
Post I can here you knocking, do you want to come in? :)

As with most vehicle problems it could be starting at a lot of places, but on the top of your list for checking should be the following: A lot of it depends on the type of knock you are getting. Is it a loud strong knock or a weaker knock? On of the first things to check is your fuel type, have you moved to a lower octane fuel? You might try one tank of high octane fuel first. Also check that your oil pump and oiling system is working fine. Most knocks are caused bye fuel igniting before it should. A poorly functioning radiator and cooling system could cause your engine temperatures to climb in to the range that pre-ignition could occur. A poorly functioning exhaust system could also cause hot spots. Or you could have scored or gouged cylinder walls causing the pre-ignition, or you could have a rod problem. So to answer your question it could be a lower priced fix or a rebuild, but with the age of the engine I would suspect its time for a rebuild.

Old 05-23-04, 11:06 AM
B
Hi..

And thanx for the info..

The engine it's self only has around 70,000 miles on it..It was a low milage replacement engine..But it sound's more like a rod knock it is a powerful knock..Nothing like a ping..So in this case if it were a rod knock how would you proceed i have not yet had it examined by a pro..

Thanx..

Brian

Old 05-24-04, 11:35 AM
Thumbs up

The first thing to do would be to drop the oil pan and see what it looks like under there. See if you have any metal shavings in the pan. I would also check the timing. And change the oil of course after dropping the pan. If you have serous problems it might be a waste, but it could help you out. And you will be that much more informed when you take it in to the shop.

Old 05-24-04, 10:46 PM
theranger
Visiting Guest
Engine knock

Does it Knock at idle or on acceleration?A rod knocking is usually at low rpm and when you increase rpms it diminishes or stops until you drop it down to low rpms.

Old 05-25-04, 04:02 PM
B
Well it knock's when you push the gas..It's not knocking just sitting at idle it knock's when you push the gas..I am going to pull the oil pan over the week-end and check for metal shard's.Ranger any idea's what would cause it to knock on acceleration?

Thanx

Brian

Old 05-25-04, 09:06 PM
theranger
Visiting Guest
Sorry.I would be afraid to guess.

Old 05-28-04, 06:55 PM
Knock on acceleration could easily be due to a spun bearing. I had a 351 in my 74 Ford F100 with the exact same symptoms. It had a low solid knock at idle, but when I gave it gas it knocked like it was about to come apart.
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: