3 way fridge

Old 06-21-04, 09:35 AM
crazyhorse43
Visiting Guest
Angry Help 3 way fridge not working

I have a 1976 country cruiser. The fridge thats in it (Dometic)wont work on 12 volt or 110, but works great on gas.Does anyone have any thoughts on where i might even begin to look.
Thankyou

Last edited by crazyhorse43; 06-21-04 at 12:36 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 01:28 PM
jshultz
Visiting Guest
Their's both a 12 v & 110v heating element in it. Should be able to find by following the wires in back..
Jim

Old 06-21-04, 03:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Additional Suggestions

Hello: crazyhorse43

Once you find the heating element(s), use an volt/ohm meter to test for voltage. Remove the wire connections from the element, turn the lower on and test for both 12 volt and 120 volts.

If voltage is present at the terminal supply end, the element(s) is likely bad. If there is no power present and you are sure the controls/switches are correctly set, test the wire terminals at the control switch(s).

May be simply a defective switch or control selection. Or no power in or out of the switches. This aspect of the test can be done as a continuity test also. No electrical power is needed. May be a bad connection somewhere in the electrical circuity, defective switch/control knob, part, etc.

Another possibility is the power converter may be defective. A continuity test may reveal something. If not, may need to turn voltage back on and test for current into power convertor and output current from any convertor which is in the electrical ciruity.

Be sure to use cautions when electrical power is turned on and while doing the testing with power turned on. May need to ask for some testing tips and or advice at a local trailer/RV dealers repair shop(s).

Repair shops where replacement parts would need to be obtained are usually or should be very helpful, since you are very likely to have to purchase a replacement part(s) from them anyway or very likely to.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-08-05, 11:38 AM
I just happen to be browsing these threads, and on my fridge I ended up replacing the heater element, I think it is called.
As I had the same problem.