'77 Jeep CJ-5 spring shackles

Old 09-06-04, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'77 Jeep CJ-5 spring shackles

Little help, please! I've got a 1977 Jeep CJ-5 that has some worn-out suspension components. In addition to the leaf spring bushings and shocks, the spring shackles are worn to the point I feel they are unsafe. The bolt holes are egged out and the bolt heads are working their way through the metal.
My questions are: Does anyone know what the stock bolt center-to-bolt center measurement is? And, how long a shackle can I use as a replacement without having to shim the axle on the springs to correct pinioin angle? This Jeep is going to remain basically stock for the time being; no lifts, no multiple shocks, no huge tires, etc. I'm just trying to get the thing on (and off) the road in a safe manner.As always, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and God bless. - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 08:57 AM
Stuff

I dont know about your first question, but on the second question you can add about 1'' to your stock shackel and be ok.

Old 09-26-04, 04:12 PM
Oxjockey
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by CMil
Little help, please! I've got a 1977 Jeep CJ-5 that has some worn-out suspension components. In addition to the leaf spring bushings and shocks, the spring shackles are worn to the point I feel they are unsafe. The bolt holes are egged out and the bolt heads are working their way through the metal.
My questions are: Does anyone know what the stock bolt center-to-bolt center measurement is? And, how long a shackle can I use as a replacement without having to shim the axle on the springs to correct pinioin angle? This Jeep is going to remain basically stock for the time being; no lifts, no multiple shocks, no huge tires, etc. I'm just trying to get the thing on (and off) the road in a safe manner.As always, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and God bless. - Chris
Don't forget the longer shackles will affect your caster and you will only gain 1/2 the lift for the length added at the shackle.

You can get new OEM shackles from http://www.quadratec.com or http://www.4wd.com

Bryan

Old 10-11-04, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Weldgod and Oxjockey! I made my own shackles, thicker and wider than what were there, with holes 2-1/2" center to center. Will be replacing all the bushings as well as the bolts. Question now is, how tight to torque the shackle fasteners? Or do I need to gauge by something else (amount of "crush" on bushing heads, distance between insides of shackles, etc.)? My Ford truck book gives a torque range of 75-115 lb./ft. for shackle bolts/nuts. Would this be a safe figure to use on the Jeep, too? Again, thanks for the advice and in advance for more help. - Chris