Repair: 1998 GMC Sierra - Idler Pulley and Serpentine Belt

Old 10-25-04, 08:19 AM
dtreble
Visiting Guest
Post Repair: 1998 GMC Sierra - Idler Pulley and Serpentine Belt

I replaced the idler pulley and serpentine belt on my truck this weekend. I had trouble finding tips online so I thought I'd create a how-to page and post it on this forum.

http://members.shaw.ca/dtreble/truck...beltpulley.htm

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 10:56 AM
Nice post!!!

Old 10-26-04, 09:41 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
What an EXCELLENT step-by-step walk through!!! The time you took to put that together was well worth it. I'm sure many people will benefit from your effort.

I just bought a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt last week for my G20 conversion van. I was going to replace it this weekend if I have time. Thanks to your guide, I'm going to see if my belt tensioner has a square hole in it for releasing belt tension (rather than using a socket on the bolt).

Also, by looking at your old belt - you definately needed a new one. To my knowledge, a serpentine belt should not show any signs of cracking - unless it's on the way out.

Again, EXCELLENT work with the web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Old 10-27-04, 05:31 AM
Great post. Printed out copies to pass around to all my chevy truck friends

Old 10-30-04, 09:51 AM
dtreble
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks for the comments guys. Those digital cameras are great for this kind of thing. Especially if you rip something apart and forget how everything goes back together.....just look at the photo! I use it all the time for "before and after" picks on home repairs. It's surprising how easy you forget how ugly that carpet or wallpaper was after it's gone. A great way to preserve the sad state of your home (and vehicle) before you fixed it up!

splashchris: Let me know how it goes on your van repair!

Old 10-31-04, 07:54 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
Been laid up with a really nasty cold for the past two days, so I haven't been out to play with the van. Hoping I feel better in the next few days. I can't wait to see how much quieter the Goodyear belt is.

Chris

Old 11-06-04, 02:26 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
dtreble,
Finally feeling better, so I changed the belt out this morning. My idler pully was wobling like a newborn on rollerskates

So, while the belt was off I replaced it. Well worth the $17 for a pully with a good bearing in it Working great now. I did notice the noise level decreased after putting the Gatorback belt on. Great belt. I'm glad I went with the best.

Chris