passing gear

Old 11-04-04, 04:14 PM
passing gear

I have a 95' chev.,4x4, 5.7 liter,auto. Truck runs fine and tranny shifts o.k. except it seems there is no passing gear when i stomp on it entering a highway. Anybody got any ideas/fixes?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 09:38 PM
first check the linkage or cable whichever you have make sure it is conected to the throtal and trany some have adjustments

Old 11-06-04, 06:16 AM
Thanks autodoc,

Will check it out.

Old 11-06-04, 07:42 AM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
No throttle linkage on these models.. they are fully electronic.

Generally its a good idea to get the dealer to run a diagnostic on it. Some of these problems are ECM related, and if caught in time, can save you a costly transmission replacement.

Old 11-06-04, 02:50 PM
And thanks to you, u2slow
Looks like i have to delve into this some more.

Electronics ,hmmmm!

Old 11-15-04, 11:01 AM
chev 2500 transmission problem

This a problem related to my post earler concerning the transmission not "kicking down" when stomped on entering a highway.
This weekend we had some snow so im thought i'd check out the 4 wheel
drive operation. Put it in 4 wheel and it didn't want to hardly move. Put it in reverse in 4 wheel and it stalled twice. Finally got it to back up by giving it a lot of gas in reverse. Got a bad feeling this tranny is ready for a re-build. Anybody got any advice on what the problem could be, and a rough estimate on cost of repairs?
Thanks.

Old 11-23-04, 03:35 PM
A follow up......Do i feel stupid!!!! After much head scratching,it turns out the distributor was 'shot'. mechanic replaced the distributor and the truck runs like a champ. A transmission shop said the tranny and drive train was o.k.,but thought the engine was 'junk'. Engine mechanic got into it and found the distributor problem. Whew!!!

Old 11-25-04, 08:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Arrow Multiple Posts Have Been Merged

Forum Monitors Note:
This thread has been combind into one post made from two seperate posts on the same subject. Combining posts on the same subject makes it easier to read and follow along, for all concerned parties.

Kindly always use the reply button to post replies, add additional information or ask questions on the same subject. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-25-04, 08:33 AM
Smile

Thanks for the correction notice. have a happy Turkey Day.

Old 11-25-04, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: daswede

Did not intentionally mean to imply the combining of two seperate posts into one, as a correction notice. I was reading your question out of my own curiosity, as I often do to any or all question posted and while surfing the new posts, in all forums, for rule and or policy violations, etc.

I had to locate your original post, to determine what the original question pertained to, than read the followup post. Thus continuity was lost. Your question is valid and worthy of reading. If I had the problem of following along, than quite possibly other members would or could have also.

Much has changed in the vehicle industry. New methods and many more electronics are now used which where not available years ago. Now transmissions are control by sensors and not linkage, as they where just a few years ago. We all learn more reading and sharing.....

HAPPY T-DAY to you also.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."