91 GMC Jimmy, Oil Adapter Leak?

Old 11-09-04, 12:11 PM
hfxbomberfan
Visiting Guest
91 GMC Jimmy, Oil Adapter Leak?

Anyone out there ever fixed a leak on an oil adapter for this truck or the Blazer 4X4?

The leak is at the oil adapter on the left hand side of the block just above the oil pan.It's normally where they would have put the oil filter but on the four wheel drive models, it couldn't go there because the transfer case was in the way.

I had the truck on a lift this morning looking at it but it didn't look that it was a hard job to tackle. However, after consulting three different automotive technicians, they informed me that it was a 2 to 3 hour job. They also said I had to move the transfer case and maybe even the left CV Joint.

Does this sound right, or is someone trying to rip me off ?

If there is anyone out there who has done this repair, or had it done by a mechanic, give me an earful of what was all involved. I need more opinions before I commit my truck to a mechanic for a costly repair.

Thanks, Stan in Halifax,N.S. CANADA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 01:35 PM
Thay can be a littel trycky to do but not to bad i would probobly go with the 2 hour depending on exactly ware the leak is and what had to be replaced as for the transfer case no it shouldent have to be removed

Old 11-20-04, 06:19 AM
hfxbomberfan
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot Auto doc. It took me about two hours, a lot of cursing and mumbling, but I managed to do it myself. Not a job I would tackle without using a lift, though. You've got to get the truck up above you for ease of working environment.

A real gross, dirty job too!