TV problems

Old 11-16-04, 10:23 AM
deedeeg1049
Visiting Guest
TV problems

Hoping someone has an answer. In our 1988 class A motorhome with a 6.5 Onan generator, we are suddenly having TV problems. When running off the generator, the voices are distorted (like the people have been inhaling helium) and the TV buzzes. It plays fine when running on shoreline power. Is this a generator problem? Inverter problem? Any advice would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
I'm just a rube way out in the country that has to live off a generator far too often... My first guess would be to check the frequency your generator is creating. I would imagine that the voltage is also off (since they go hand-in-hand with many generators) but I'm betting it is the frequency causing the real problem.

When you asked your question. I assume you are running the TV off the generator and not your inverter.

Old 11-17-04, 10:36 AM
yes chek that also check if your gen set has a noise sorpressor also if it is gas run check spark plug wires

Old 11-18-04, 06:47 PM
splashchris
Visiting Guest
Electronic devices of any kind should never be run directly off of a generator output. The voltage/frequency is not stable enough for electronics. It may "work," but eventually (usually sooner than later) the electronics will fail.

What you need is a power conditioner. They are designed to clean up to the generator output and make it stable enough for your electronics (TV, etc.).

Also, since this just started, the generator could have drifted out of specs. You may need to bring it in for service.

Chris