transmission reverse failure

Old 11-17-04, 04:17 AM
4means4
Visiting Guest
transmission reverse failure

was backing up hill last nite, shifted into 4 high w./ 92 chevy k-2500 truck. clunk sound was heard and reverse disapeared.all forward works fine . any ideas before i go under truck this a.m. when daylight appears?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 10:37 AM
sounds like reverse gear broke may be time for a rebuild

Old 11-17-04, 02:01 PM
4means4
Visiting Guest
thanks auto doc

i guess i'll be finding out soon what happened. had to take to shop this a.m. as no visable damage was apparent.

Old 11-23-04, 11:52 PM
juice1
Visiting Guest
reverse and low use the same gear set so if you can go foward in low its not broken.it sounds like a stuck reverse abuse valve in your valve body. if you havent taken it to the shop yet try running some trans cleaner in it before an expensive repair.if its a stiky valve it may start working if not your only out a few bucks .
my wifes 98 4x4 suburban coughed up 1st gear,it poped then ground like nuts and bolts in a blender.not good
after hearing the estiment i about fell out,1200 for a rebuilt tranny plus labor.which was like 2400 total for everything.which seemed a little high
so i did a little research and found a rebuild manual for $20 ,a complete transmission rebuild kit for $130 at a local shop(it had all the gaskets ,seals,clutches and filters in it)a rebuilt torque converter for $80.since i needed a new low/reverse gearset (these are called hard parts in trans mechanic lingo)
i priced new ones and wasnt impressed with that price either.so i purchased a fried transmission for $50 bucks and robbed the hard parts out of it.plus $20 on fluids.I saved about $2100 and had never rebuilt an auto tranny before this one. i rebuilt most of the tranny on the kitchen table(insert redneck joke here) and the heavy stuff on the front porch. if you feel up to a challenge and have a spare ride you can save yourself a lot of money and score some bragging rights at the same time. if i can do it anybody can.
good luck
-juice-

Old 12-16-04, 05:47 PM
manicbobo
Visiting Guest
Same thing

Did the same thing to my Chevy k1500 backing out of a ditch with a turbo 400 in 4x4. Got out, backed down the trail and when put it into drive and took it out of 4x4 the reverse went away...now when I put it into reverse the drive shaft turns like it is engaging, but nothing more happens. I have all three forward gears, I can not find any info on reverse abuse valves on the i'net or where they are located in the valve body. Anyone have any info on this???

Bob