Building a Trailer

Old 11-23-04, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a Trailer

I have a 97 Ford Ranger and I just came across a parts Ranger that has a salvage title. The bed is in very good condition and I was contemplating chopping the frame rails behind the cab and making a trailer out of it. Has anyone done this before? Would the rear axle have to be replaced with a solid I-beam style axle?

And what do I do about getting a title for it as a trailer? I am in New Jersey and the salvage title is from out of state.

Old 11-24-04, 11:28 AM
juice1
Visiting Guest
buiding a truck bed trailer

the truck axle will work fine ,it will just be heavyer than the lighter beam axle.
you can always strip the brakes off it to make it a little lighter .
I built a trailer out of a 72 chevy truck ,heres how i built mine.
first i cut the frame rails under the cab as far forward as i could.
then i welded in a 2x6 1/4 thick rectangular tubeing in between the frame rails directly under the front edge of the bed.
Then i welded a piece 2x4 1/4 thick rectangular tubeing from the center of the first welded in crossbeam,makeing sure it was long enough so that when i attached the trailer tounge to the end it would be long enough to keep the trailer from hitting the tow vehical in a sharp turn.
after finding the best location for the trailer tounge latch ,i cut the center beam to the right lenght then notched the frame rails right in front of the first crossbeam i welded in. then i bent the frame rails in to the center beam and welded them in place with enough room to attach the tounge latch.
After welding on the tounge latch i reinforced the tounge frame area buy welding on a piece of 1/4 thick diamond plat over the entire tounge and frame rails ,this also acts as a large triangular storage area for your generator ,or whatever.
wire in your lights and your done.
thanks -juice-

Old 11-25-04, 08:54 AM
Sounds easy enough. Looks like I have a fun little project coming up. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-25-04, 03:09 PM
A
as for the title just go to the dmv and say you have a home made trailer you want to plate and thay should isue a permit at least thats how it works here

Old 11-25-04, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but

although pick-up box trailers are cheap and easy to make, they are one poor trailer unless they are properly rigged.
The biggest problem is the fact that the wheels are smack dab in the middle of the box.
When you load the thing and go over a bump the trailer tends to whip because of there being no, or negative weight on the ball.
You need to have the wheels behind the centerline of the box to about 60% in front and 40% in back for it to handle safely.

If you use the original axle you must keep the gears together so that the front seal can keep the gear oil in.
Some have removed the gears and made a plate for the front opening to keep the oil in.
Those bearings can't run dry.

Old 11-25-04, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking that for weight purposes, I am going to pull a solid rear axle from a front wheel drive vehicle that has the proper width. We scrap alot of cars at work, and it wouldnt be too hard to get my hands on one as long as I can find the correct width. Thanks for the tip on the distribution of weight. Wouldnt have thought of that. I will have to take some measurements and look into that.

And for the permit/plates, that seems way too easy. Could it be that simple? I have to go to the DMV next week anyway, so I will have to ask a few questions. Always seems like New Jersey has a way of making the simplest things difficult, so forgive me for being skeptical.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: