'95 Chev 3/4 ton battery drain

Old 12-04-04, 07:01 PM
Rex
Visiting Guest
'95 Chev 3/4 ton battery drain

I have a 95 Chev 3/4 ton PU with a new battery. Something is draining the battery after about a week or so of not driving it. No lights are on, radio's fuse has been removed in case that was causing it. Any ideas?

Old 12-04-04, 08:35 PM
26T
Visiting Guest
testing for battery drain

you can try this: with the truck shut off and key off remove each fuse one at a time and put an amp meter across the fuse socket. their should be 0 amps on most of the fuses. If their is a reading however slight you need to determine wht is causing the drain.

usual suspects: glove box light, a dash light somewhere, accesories wired in like a cb radio, cellphone charger, even without a phone plugged in.

and the obious question is, have you tried a new battery?

Old 12-05-04, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Maybe the new battery is defective.

Rex,

An auto pro can correct me on this but I believe that all or most computer controlled fuel injected engines normally have a small parasitic drain on the battery.
I am actually going to replace the battery on my 95 Caravan this morning for this same thing.
Battery will start vehicle fine, even in our now sub-zero temps, except if sitting for longer than a day.
This is easy to diagnose with a battery drain tester.

Old 12-06-04, 06:16 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes the battery could be defective but as 26T mentiond pull fuses to see if drain goes away install tester on battey and check for drain start pulling fuses to determin suspected system

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: