Block heater working?

Old 12-13-04, 07:56 PM
Block heater working?

I have a 1988 Ford E350 Diesel, I have trouble starting it now that it is really cold. I have the "van" plugged in every night, I don't think the block heater is working or it maybe disconnected (the van is an ambulance, so the wiring is not normal). Where is the heater and how can I tell if it is working? If it is not working how do you replace it? Or is my glowplugs the problem and do I know when I should replace glow plugs?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 12:57 PM
more than likely it is the glow plug igniter this is what turns on the glow plugs check with a test lamp on the main terminals with key on engine off they both should have power if not its probobly bad
it is usuly mounted on the intake on right front or around center rear
to check block heater leave it pluged in and in the morning open the rad and see if coolent is warm you may be able to just feal the upper rad hose also

Old 12-21-04, 04:29 PM
tfbrown1270
Visiting Guest
H...I have a 1987 6.9 Diesel in a E350 (motorhome)...the block heater is on the lower right rear of the block, right above the starter.......9 times out of 10 its the cord though....either the plug or the connection at the block heater that has failed...try those first......I live in Winnipeg Manitoba canada....its -39 celcius right now...ouch....we use block heaters from dec1 to April 1st (ish) around here....and I have only had a few of the actual heater elements fail....like I said...try the cord first (you can buy them seperately)...

Tim (sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-t...its cold out!)

Old 12-22-04, 06:51 PM
Glow plugs?

Check the Glow plug controller and glow plugs.

Search this Thread