gm 4x4 shifting question

Old 12-29-04, 06:07 AM
gm 4x4 shifting question

I just bought a new GMC 4x4 and have some questions about the shifting in and out 4 wheel drive. This is my first 4x4.
Manual says i can shift "on the fly". (floor mounted transfer case).
i can shift from 2 wheel to 4 wheel HI from a dead stop,but can't always shift
while moving anywhere from 10 to 30 miles a hour till,what seems the truck warms up some. Temps. here in Massachusetts has been around 10-20 deg. range. After truck warms up some,shifting seems to be o.k.
I guess i expected to be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at any speed and temp. I think its my misunderstanding of the conditions for shifting,and not a problem with the truck. 4 wheel "low" works as advertized.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 10:04 AM
With a manual transfer case it will not always shift easy, but it should shift in to 4-Hi if you try a few times. I would take it in for warranty work and tell them what it is doing to you. And donít let them tell you that all trucks are like that or they all do that in that in cold weather, because they dont.

Old 12-29-04, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your reply,

I tried shifting at speeds from 10 mph and lower from 2 wheel drive into 4 wheel HI and it worked every time. I could shift out of 4 wheel HI to 2 wheel drive at 35 mph and lower. I guess i was of the impression that i could just shift into 4 wheel drive HI at any speed below 45mph. But, thinking about it later i don't see any reason to do it at those higher speeds.
The GMC owners manual was kinda vaque about some other issues i had when i bought the truck,so i posted here hoping knowledable 4x4 folks
could set me straight.

Search this Thread