F250 4X4 Packing Hubs?????

Old 01-04-05, 07:57 AM
rugerman
Visiting Guest
F250 4X4 Packing Hubs?????

I have a 2002 Ford F250 4X4 with auto locking hubs (switch on dash) how often do I need to have the front hubs packed if ever. Thanks rugerman

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 06:25 AM
i beleave thay are feed by rearend oil if im not mistaken just check level of rear end dope at oil changes

Old 01-05-05, 05:55 PM
Sealed bearings can't pack,buy it in a hub assembly. Bolts on. No service Needed.

Old 01-05-05, 07:19 PM
rugerman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, the owners manuel didn't say anything and I always had my manuel hubs packed every year. rugerman

Old 01-15-05, 11:54 PM
Spindle service should be performed at 30,000km (roughly 20,000 miles) intervals. The hub seals can start to leak vacuum and, instead of locking in the hubs, bad things will be drawn into the hub cavity. The spindle bearings are not sealed and do require service. The hub bearings are sealed and cannot be repacked.

A special tool helps installing the inner seal.... they are a tad spendy.

Old 01-21-05, 09:18 PM
banker
Visiting Guest
I need to replace my front hubs

My 4x4 (auto) will not engage and I have been told that the front hubs and seals need to be replaced. Is this common for a 2002 F250 Diesel? Is it something I can do myself? Please help as it seems to be very expensive.

Old 01-22-05, 03:15 AM
Like Mechanic said there are seals that could leak vacuum but also check the vacuum lines going to the hubs. We have seen thm leak.

Old 01-22-05, 05:35 AM
Banker.... rhis system can look complicated though it is simple whem we learn how it operates. Here in the frigid north, we see several different "common" problems.

If the 4X4 light on the dash doesn't come on, we're split about 50/50 between wiring harness damage and shift motors with the occasional GEM problem just for spice.

If the 4X4 light does come on and you have no 4X4, check the heater operation... if the heater is stuck on defrost it is usually vacuum pump. If the heater works but goes to defrost momentarily when putting the truck into 4X4, it is usually a vacuum line. If the heater keeps working normally, it is usually spindle seals.

This can be done at home, but (since the seals are spendy) I recommend having it done by someone with the proper seal driver - this is a dual purpose tool. It installs the seal on the stub axle and is later used to position the seal in the knuckle.

Other things to watch for... if the outside of the locking hub is painted or coated with mud/guck/slime..... the bar (finger grip) across the middle of the hub is supposed to be porous. If these pores are blocked, the pressure on the outside of the hub diaphragm will fight the vacuum on the inside of the diaphragm. Occasionally, I will run across the odd hub that will lock manually but not automatically.

Having said all that, if you haven't had a spindle service performed in the last 20K miles, I'd recommend that whether 4X4 works or not.... stub shafts are available but most dealers don't know this and will sell you a whole axle (can we say $$$$$, boys and girls?).