Adding Another Battery

Old 01-15-05, 07:17 PM
Adding Another Battery

I've got a new 2005 Chevy astro van, and am adding a second battery. The instructions I have for the Isolation switch says to connect one pos. lead to #1 connector, and the other pos. lead to the #2 side. There is a "common" connector as well. My question is, do both negs. from both batteries go to this post? Or is there a connection on the Alternator I need to make? If it's on the alternator, is it from the original truck battery? And the second battery getting grounded to the frame? This makes more sense to me, but I'm trying to clarify just what I'm doing so I don't explode somewhere on the road. Thanks.

cuedude

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-05, 10:09 PM
both neg leads should go to the blockthe original batt alredy goes to alt you need to run a second lead from original batt to switch and a pos lead from new bat to switch than you should be good to go
i would need to see your swich to see if neg needs to go to it but thay shouldent have to Question why do you need the switch you should be able to conect the batts in series

Old 01-16-05, 05:08 AM
To Allow for charging

Thanks for the quick response AutoDoc. The type of switch I'm using is the old style barrell type. It has 4 positions: 1, both, 2, and off. And the reason I chose this type is to allow me to charge either battery, or both while driving. Also, this van is not just an average van, it's a work truck. I'll be powering a huge inverter. The truck has a small, double flourescent light fixture, and an outlet with 4 plug-ins. Off the outlet, I may be running 2 electric motors at one time. (Not for long periods of time though). I'm a Locksmith, and am to the point where I need this thing completed or I'm gonna go blind working at night with a flashlight.

Old 01-16-05, 11:03 PM
did the switch not come with wiring instructions?
here is a link on a specific brand switch that sounds similar to yours as it has the same 4 positions it basicly involves cutting your orignal positive cable at the battery and installing either to a junction block or the comm on the switch and you would also want to install a cable to your invertor to the same block or comm on the switch you would want the cable going to the invertor fused.
run both batterys to ground or a grounding block and run new positive cables from each battery to no 1 and 2 on the switch.
the link should help you but it is pdf so you need acrobat reader to view.
https://myeporia.eporia.com/resource...ny_57/6900.pdf

Old 01-17-05, 02:16 PM
Thanks Bejay

Bejay, thank you. I have run this question twice now, and you are the only one that actually answered it. Not only in your reply, but added a link that showed just what I actually need to do. Again, thanks.

cuedude