'97 E350 Super Duty 7.3PS - no heater

Old 02-09-05, 01:50 PM
'97 E350 Super Duty 7.3PS - no heater

I seem to have lost my temperature controls. No matter what position the Heater/AC selector switch is in, nor what position the temperature control is in, I get cold or cool air. The rear heater/AC unit is blowing hot air, but I don't get any heat at all from the front.

What are the good manuals that detail getting into and behind the dash to get to the heat and AC stuff?

Thanks!

-david

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-05, 05:50 AM
dose the fan work? if not check fuses, resister card in engine compartment and also the switch i have had problems with both But if the fan works and you have no change in tempand all fuses are good more than likely the blend door and actuater are bad the actuater is on the far right side of heater box you can reach it take it out and check for power and grounds and watch if it moves when you change the temp also check the blend door where the acctuater goes in i find meny of them broken you have to get the part from the dealer or wrecker from the dealer it comes as the box and door but you can remove the door and place it in your own box to save some time
good luck

Old 02-11-05, 05:17 AM
Yes, fan works.

Blend door, I knew there had to be 'something' that did that kind of function, however didn't have a clue what to call it. I'll get under the dash and check out the door and actuator.

Thanks for the info!

-david

Old 08-28-05, 04:45 PM
theoman
Visiting Guest
Do you have heat now?

I've got a 97 E350 7.3PS with the same problem. I replaced the temp pot behind the knob. No change so I got another blend door actuator motor from the dealer. It doesn't work either. Any sugestions?

Old 08-30-05, 07:37 PM
can you here the door motor run when you switch the controls if yes remove motor again and as isaid earlyer try and look inside ware the motor goes you will probobly find the door is broken ware the motor engages

Old 08-31-05, 10:35 PM
theoman
Visiting Guest
The motor doesn't turn (after replacing the temperature selector switch & the motor). It does have voltage at the connector. I took the gear out of the old motor and tried to turn the door manually, but I can't seem to do that either. Any ideas?

Old 11-22-05, 06:15 AM
scrid
Visiting Guest
Blend door

Hi everyone, had problems with my blend door on my 98 e350 van. However I removed the white motor screwed to the right side of the heater box and checked it's movement with the heat adjust/ temperature control pot on the dash. My motor worked fine...they seem to be geared really low and move slow. However I noticed (with a mirror) the hole on the blend door that the motor output shaft slides into, was cracked open in 3 spots. This allowed the plastic to open up and the motor shaft would turn inside the blend door hole instead of driving it. I removed the heater core cover, heater core, and blend door assy. Removed the blend door from it's frame. Since all the plastic pieces were still there I melted a small slot under the broken drive tube on the blend door. Then epoxied the cracked areas of the tube back together with some quick set epoxy. Then I tightly wrapped some thin copper wire around the tube through the slot I had melted under the tube. Once wrapped I slathered the area with more epoxy. Wrapping the tube will prevent it from expanding or cracking again.
Reinstalled the blend door, and reassembled. The worst part of the whole job was removing the heater core to get to the blend door. The plastic cover over the heater core comes off with about 8 hex head screws but Ford thought they had to put a phillips head screw at the top which is hard to reach. Thanks guys.
As mentioned before the blend door control motor operates really slow so I know it's geared low and if your blend door gets stuck for any reason I believe the motor will overpower the plastic drive tube on the door and crack it open. Hope this helps

Old 02-21-07, 09:16 AM
follow-up

Originally Posted by scrid View Post
<snip>
As mentioned before the blend door control motor operates really slow so I know it's geared low and if your blend door gets stuck for any reason I believe the motor will overpower the plastic drive tube on the door and crack it open. Hope this helps

My van has been in storage while I've been out of the country, so just now getting back to fixing this problem. I've found out from Ford that the biggest cause of failure of the blend door is the blend door motor. It is geared really low, has LOTS of torque, (has to move the door and hold it against airflow!) and if for any reason the door sticks, jams the motor will overpower it and break “something.”

Now to find out what all I have to disassemble to get to the blend door.

-david