Transmissions

Old 02-28-05, 11:03 AM
Tim in Tampa
Visiting Guest
Transmissions

I have a 1983 Fleetwood Southwind on a GM frame. Three years ago the transmission began cracking around the bellhousing. I replaced the transmission. One year later that transmission cracked in the same place. So I put in another one, along with new motor mounts, U- joints, and hanger bearing. I drove less than 500 miles when the transmission shatered, it turned sideways. Now I'm 480 miles from home and had to find a RV repair shop. It cost $4100.00 to get it fixed. Then I drove home to Tampa from Pensacola 480 miles and found the transmission has began cracking agin. The drive is all flat road and I was not towing anything. I bought the motorhome with 56,000 origenal miles. It has not been in a wreck. What else can I look for.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 06:42 PM
it almost sounds like the attaching bolts are too small causing it to twist
are the dowl pins still in the block to locate the trans get some onre with a pit or the ability to go under the unit while some one brake torques it and see what is givving there are many posibilitys bolts locating pins trans mount cracked frame or crossmember unballenced drive shaft is there any vibration while drivine before it starts to crack??

Last edited by AutoDoc; 03-01-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-28-05, 10:50 PM
Are there any driveline vibrations or U-joint concerns? How about dowel pins... are they installed and in good shape?

This sounds like a vibration or alignment induced failure.