cooling system

Old 03-08-05, 03:13 PM
zekester
Visiting Guest
cooling system

I have a 1990 GMC Suburban 4WD 1500 with the 350 gas engine. Recently I noticed that I was getting little heat. Checked upper and lower hoses and they were hot, so I replaced the thermostadt. Better, but not by much. After running the truck for one half hour both hoses were hot, but the radiator was cold (all over). Never have run into this before and wonder if you have an idea.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 06:06 AM
could be air in the system check the temp of the heater hose if cool you may need to let out the air
could also have a pluged heater core take both lines off and conect some lines to it one in to a bucket and another you can put the hose to turn on the garden hose and let it run out to the bucket when good flow than reverse hoses back and forth till clean and good flow both directions when you re fill cooling system tmake sure all air is out of the system and you should get good heat

Old 03-12-05, 04:49 PM
zekester
Visiting Guest
If the heater core was plugged, why wouln't it run hot? Also, the temp guage only reads about 120 degrees.
Both heater hoses are hot as are the heater hoses.

Old 03-14-05, 10:41 AM
the core may not be pluged totaly just low flow flush the system and see what happens are you seeing good flow in the rad after the stat opens if not may be poor water pump performance or the start of a plugged system try flushing rad and core a clean cooling system never hurts so start there before trying other parts

Old 03-14-05, 02:44 PM
zekester
Visiting Guest
Thanks Autodoc, I'll give it a try.

Old 03-19-05, 02:05 PM
If both heater hoses are hot you should have flow and should have heat inside unless the heater blend door is not working as it should. Follow AutoDoc's advise for the other concerns but remember if both heater hoses are hot then you have flow through the heater core and the problem will be inside the vehicle probably being the hot to cold blend door or it's cable.